What do we think of this?

Easy Vape Digital Vaporizer - $60 (San Diego)

It's like, "you know what could be a lot more complicated? Smoking weed! Let's make that harder than it already is." Either that, or stoners need an excuse to make their smoking habits even more complex and ritualistic than they already are.

My carefully culled selection for the Runner-Up award:

Wanted (Normal Hieghts)

Points for (apparently) trying to do a good deed, that much is certain. But you lose the top spot for acting shady (and maybe a little bit serial-killer-esque) in your dealings. I would say, consider a degree of openness in your dealings, lest people suspect you want to chloroform them and build cages from their bones.

ANYWAYS, for Achievements in UnSpooky and Charitable Acts of Nicety, the daily Best Of No-Prize goes out to:

Bting some beauty to this world (Normal Heights)

Free flowers. Inexplicably obvious spelling errors aside, what's a better way to "bting [sic] some beauty to this world?" Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but it seems to me that there's something tremendous about this little gesture. It's a very simple movement; one person's attempt to put something beautiful into a world which can, at times be very, very ugly. Don't get me wrong, the world can be beautiful. Most of the time it is, but there's no reason it can't use a little help every now and again.

Look at it this way, the world is a huge and complicated place. Countless forces are always at work, pushing and pulling in all directions, making a mess of things. It can be so easy to get lost in all the noise and chaos that characterizes a very tumultuous existence. It's borderline impossible to make sense of everything, and there's little to be gained by giving up and putting all your chips on nothing. Maybe the best that can be hoped for is something.

Maybe something little. Something like flowers.

The ad puts it best, "just shake them out onto the ground SO EASY." Maybe that's all there is to it, make the small movement and bring some beauty into the world that wasn't there before. No grandstanding, no epic gestures, just a patch of flowers. A little something wonderful springing from the otherwise empty ground.

It seems like the simplest of things, too small to be taken into account. How much good can a few flowers really do? What does it matter in light of Rembrandt, The Beatles, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Gandhi, or anyone else towards whom we might point to as having made the world a more beautiful place? Well, firstly, I don't think it's a contest. What's the purpose of stacking these wonderful things in piles and weighing them against each other? Do we get some final word on what is or isn't of value in terms of beatifying the world? I think not. The fact of the matter is that the little things--like giving away flowers--accomplish the same goal as the big things.

And it's hardly like giving away a flower hasn't--at one time or another--proven to be an enormously significant gesture worthy of inclusion in the annals of history.

Arrange the circumstances a little bit and all of a sudden it's the biggest thing in the world to give a way a flower. The gesture never changes, it remains, "here, have some flowers and see the world for what it is, something beautiful."

Do I venture too far in saying that the little gestures are no different from the Big Ones? That the Big Ones were, in fact, just little ones that got out of control or happened at exactly the right time and in just the right place? Maybe, but maybe not. I can say that it doesn't hurt to plant a couple flowers, and make the world that much nicer for the looking.

Comments

Adam92102 Dec. 1, 2009 @ 1:57 p.m.

The vaporizer really isn't as complicated as that ad is. Just fill it, plug it in, turn it on, inhale. In fact, it's very convenient. Another reason it is better than the conventional lighter method is because once flame touches the marijuana, a ridiculously large percentage of its "potency" is lost from the start. The vaporizer involves no direct flame, thereby retaining a larger amount of potency. For pot smokers, it really can make a difference. It's also much, much easier on the lungs. Less harsh.

I wish I had a green thumb. I'd be a gardening fool. I've tried my hand at it several times but I just don't think I have what it takes. In fact, I've learned that trying to garden has very similar results as being colorblind and going clothes shopping. Things just don't look right. So I dress in t-shirts and jeans (because it's safe) and let the gardeners garden their hearts out.

antigeekess Dec. 1, 2009 @ 8:40 p.m.

"Who put the flower in the barrel of that gun?" - LIVE

"Do I venture too far in saying that the little gestures are no different from the Big Ones? That the Big Ones were, in fact, just little ones that got out of control or happened at exactly the right time and in just the right place?"

You are one astonishing young dude, my friend. 99.9% of humanity never figures this out, no matter what age they live to be.

There are no small actions. They're ALL infinitely powerful. Just like the individual people who commit them.

FullFlavorPike Dec. 2, 2009 @ 2:43 a.m.

AG culls the best of it in two sentences. Never heard that Live tune before, wicked cool. A little departure from "Lightning Crashes!"

antigeekess Dec. 2, 2009 @ 6:49 a.m.

You may have heard this version before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPYM08916-A

Here's an acoustic version of "Lightning Crashes," if you like, with lyrics in the sidebar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhwYaE...

And just because I love it, "Overcome:" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxNNHW1TJBA

Kowalczyk writes the lyrics. He's one deep cat. "The Distance to Here" might just be my favorite album of all time.

Those songs are just incredible, one right after the other. "Where Fishes Go" is downright OOB trippy.

One more kinda interesting thing, then I'll shut down the Live Lovefest. I always thought that their music, particularly Kowalczyk's lyrics, were like the musical expression of Ken Wilber's work. They're SO on the same page. Turns out, they ARE friends. Ken wrote something like "There's something sickeningly sweet when two fans of each others' work meet." One of them was so giddy and nervous that he spilled wine all over himself. I think it was Kowalczyk.

Okay, done. :)

Adam92102 Dec. 2, 2009 @ 1:59 p.m.

Live's best and freshest work, IMO, is their first album, Mental Jewelry. It was clean, crisp, and every song's lyrics hit you with something you never felt before. They lost me a little bit somewhere after Secret Samaddhi but I will always have a ton of respect for them.

Thought I'd pass along a little link for you, AG. Not sure if you've ever heard of a musician named Tricky but he was in a "trip-hop" band that I'm a huge fan of called Massive Attack (the theme song from House is a Massive Attack song called Teardrop on the album Mezzanine). Anyway. Tricky has been doing solo work since then and put out an album a long time ago that had a song with Ed Kowalczyk singing in it. It's a fantastic song. Here's the video.

antigeekess Dec. 2, 2009 @ 8:14 p.m.

Thanks for that, Adam. I wasn't aware of it. Anything Ed does is golden. :)

I'd heard of Tricky, but that was about it. I looked at a few of his vids -- really nice ambiance music. I have Massive Attack's "Teardrop" on something called The Classic Chillout Album, which also has people like Moby and Dido on it.

FullFlavorPike Dec. 2, 2009 @ 9:08 p.m.

TripHop Must have list: Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Sneaker Pimps, Thievery Corporation (especially older)

DaniLauder Dec. 3, 2009 @ 9:18 a.m.

The one looking for needy women did seem a bit like a serial killer. I wonder if the police check these things out just to be sure.

Joe Poutous Dec. 3, 2009 @ 9:24 a.m.

"I will be up to 1a.m. tonight"

Wow. Waiting until 1AM for C.L.ers to come calling in need of poppy seeds.

• Joe

antigeekess Dec. 3, 2009 @ 9:26 a.m.

I LOVE this vid with "Lebanese Blonde" from Thievery Corporation as the soundtrack.

Great film. Perfect song choice.

"Too low to find my way, too high to wonder why..."