Ken Leighton 5:30 p.m., Nov. 26
Chinese hackers gathering info on drone technology
San Diego center of U.S. drone manufacturing
A story in today's (Sept. 21) New York Times tells how Chinese hackers have been gathering information about drone manufacturing. China wants to expand its drone-making capability in a big way.
San Diego is the nation's biggest drone-making location, dominated by General Atomics Aeronautical Systems and Northrop Grumman. Smaller local companies also make drones and components. The National University System Institute for Policy Research earlier this year said that the drone business provides 14,000 jobs in the county and generates $2 billion in annual revenue.
The Chinese version of the Predator, the Wing Loong, or Pterodactyl, was first exported in 2011, says the Times. The American-built Predator is a product of General Atomics.
More like this:
- Layoffs expected at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems — Nov. 23, 2013
- General Atomics' DC office added to anti-drone protest targets — Nov. 15, 2013
- Drone purchase cutback? — Dec. 4, 2012
- Reaper Drones Take Flight — Dec. 9, 2011
- Russian Covets GA's Attack Drone Success — Sept. 23, 2011