Don Bauder 5:30 p.m., Dec. 5
Lincoln Club spends close to $50k on anti-Nathan Fletcher mailers and signs
Newest disclosure shows conservative group not letting up in their attack on Fletcher
The Lincoln Club is anything but shy about their disdain for democratic mayoral candidate Nathan Fletcher. In a lobbyist disclosure today, the conservative group revealed it spent $22,364 on a new round of mailers aimed at discrediting the former Republican State Assemblyman as well as $25,000 on "display advertising.
Of course, the Lincoln Club isn't going it alone in their attempt to bash Fletcher. In the same disclosure, the club revealed a $40,000 contribution from the San Diego County Republican Party, much of that money coming from high-browed donors such as UT-San Diego's Douglas Manchester and mega-developer Thomas Sudberry.
The latest round of expenditures is just a small part of a larger effort by the Lincoln Club and the local GOP to sway votes from Fletcher to their candidate councilmember Kevin Faulconer.
Last week, the club disclosed it spent over $7,000 to set up an anti-Fletcher website as well as an additional $31,330 on an earlier mailer.
The previous mailer sparked some controversy when Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs took offense to claims that Fletcher was just a political pawn for the company to move their agenda. Jacobs penned a letter to Lincoln Club chair William Lynch demanding an apology. That apology has not yet arrived.
The attacks will likely continue as recent polls show Fletcher in front of the pack, leading Faulconer by more than four-percentage points.
More like this:
- The Jacobs-Faulconer dance — April 20, 2016
- Will Jacobs fill Fletcher's coffer to help win mayoral battle? — Nov. 4, 2013
- Lincoln Club pays for more hits against Jacobs-backed Fletcher — Oct. 31, 2013
- Lincoln Club takes to the internet to bash Nathan Fletcher, creates website and spends money on social media — Oct. 11, 2013
- Pro-Kevin Faulconer committee receives $110,000 from Building and Restaurant Industry PACs — Oct. 8, 2013