Christopher Schneider noon, July 28
Convention center liars expose themselves
Say glut won't hit San Diego. But local center already slashing prices
Local convention center expansion touts are saying in media that the glut of convention center space around the nation shouldn't hurt San Diego, because it is such a desirable location. Carol Wallace, head of the center, said in some publication (I don't remember which) that San Diego is not Boise, a less attractive location. Phil Blair, chairman of the center, wrote in Voice of San Diego that San Diego is not Omaha or Spokane.
But San Diego itself is already slashing convention center prices. The center has put out a document saying that it is giving space discounts of 40%. Even the Union-Tribune printed an article showing that San Diego's charge to Comic-Con has dropped from $300,000 to $150,000.
San Francisco, an even more desirable location than San Diego, is putting together a fund so that it can cut prices. San Jose, which just finished an expansion, has given away space FREE, and heavily advertised the fact.
Advice: Don't listen to San Diego leadership.
More like this:
- Unconventional logic — Aug. 11, 2014
- Coastal Commission staff says "No" on convention center expansion — Sept. 27, 2013
- San Diego builds into convention center glut — Aug. 14, 2013
- Professor Tells How Convention Center Stats Grossly Mislead — Aug. 30, 2009
- Does New Center Make Any Sense? — March 25, 2009