Mike Madriaga 1:31 p.m., Sept. 27
Coastal Commission approves convention center expansion
Ignores staff's negative recommendation
The California Coastal Commission this afternoon (Oct. 10) approved the proposed expansion of the convention center. The commission's staff had recommended the project be turned down, greatly because it would block access to the bay. But the commission decided that a park atop the center would ameliorate that concern.
Two lawsuits are at the appellate level. If they lose there, they will likely go to the state Supreme Court. So construction is some time off.
More like this:
- Coastal Commission staff says "No" on convention center expansion — Sept. 27, 2013
- Judge Prager OKs convention center expansion tax — March 11, 2013
- Chargers hawking combined convention center/roofed stadium — March 8, 2013
- New Proposal: Huge Hike in TOT Tax to Improve Infrastructure — June 8, 2012
- Hoteliers Vote for Convention Center Expansion — April 24, 2012