• News Ticker alerts

Kerry Steigerwalt, who once ran the most heavily advertised law firm in San Diego, has been reinstated by the State Bar of California. As of Oct. 6, he is eligible to practice law again, according to Bar records. His address is listed as Steigerwalt Law Firm, 5030 Camino De La Siesta. (See my Steigerwalt columns July 21, 2010 and June 22, 2011.)

Steigerwalt, who was a darling of local mainstream media, took over Pacific Law Center, which relied on heavy advertising and fast-buck practices. That firm had been founded in the 1990s by a convicted felon who was not a lawyer. The practices continued under Steigerwalt, according a complaint filed by an ex-employee. Clients paid up-front fees but didn't get service. Steigerwalt hired a Chicago lawyer to clean up the mess, but he couldn't do it. The bar filed charges and Steigerwalt agreed to a one-year suspension last year.

• News Ticker alerts

Visduh Oct. 9, 2013 @ 4:59 p.m.

Oddly enough, his name is probably still an asset to his practice because the low information and brain dead folks who would call him for legal assistance at least remember it. What they don't remember is his wretched record of defending guilty-as-sin killers, rarely prevailing at trial, or the PLC and its history. He should go far, far away and get a job as a therapist or some such thing.

Scott Marks Oct. 9, 2013 @ 7:36 p.m.

How about a job as a political analyst for one of the local stations? His coverage of the Westerfield trial was first rate.

Don Bauder Oct. 9, 2013 @ 7:42 p.m.

Scott Marks: I can't comment on that because I did not see his coverage of Westerfield on TV. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Oct. 9, 2013 @ 7:35 p.m.

Visduh: I hope you are not right -- that Steigerwalt's name is an asset because people don't remember what he did. But I fear you are right. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell Oct. 9, 2013 @ 11:13 p.m.

Many observers assumed the State Bar would audit Pacific Legal Center's books to find out where the money went, and determine whether there was chicanery. Apparently, there will be no audit to explain where the money went. Steigerwalt claimed he sold his rental properties and used the money to make his clients whole. I understand that many clients are still short. All in all, I think the State Bar really screwed up. Meting out a 1 year suspension as punishment is truly laughable in relation to the charges.

Don Bauder Oct. 10, 2013 @ 7:04 a.m.

Burwell: As one who followed this story, I agree that a one-year suspension was really light. That law firm was a fleecing machine. It did heavy advertising. People came in with their problems, and fast-buck salesmen, who weren't lawyers, talked to them first and got the commitments to pay. But the people didn't get legal services, and Steigerwalt's efforts to ameliorate the situation didn't work. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK March 26, 2015 @ 9:36 a.m.

the state bar is truly a good o'l boy system

stevesword July 7, 2015 @ 1:14 a.m.

I gave him a chance and I hired Steigerwalt personally from his private practice for a criminal matter. Once he got my payment (retainer) he began to lie to me and would not return my calls. He actually cooperated with the Police and Prosecutors' requests and they started adding charges against me in addition to the bogus charges that the Chula Vista PD invented against me.

Once I realized what was happening, I promptly fired him and got an honest lawyer who in a short time had all charges dropped and the case dismissed. Steigerwalt has likely sent a lot of innocent people to jail and ruined many lives just to make himself money.

The Police and the Prosecutors like Steigerwalt because they win their cases against him whether the Defendant is innocent or guilty. No one seems to care about truth in our Courts anymore. Steigerwalt is not an honest person and I know he has been doing very bad things to people in order to make money. I would be weary of anyone who defends this terrible, dishonest, and immoral attorney. It is guys just like this that give lawyers a bad name.

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!