Dorian Hargrove 2:30 p.m., Aug. 29
Hagel recalls almost all civilian defense workers
Furloughed 400,000 to return to work next week
In a surprise announcement today (Oct. 5), Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel said he will recall to work next week almost all of the 400,000 Defense Department civilian employees who had been sent home when the government shut down, according to the New York Times.
Hagel made the move after Pentagon and Justice Department lawyers said they interpreted a stop-gap budget law to include larger numbers of workers. When the government shut down, about half the Defense Department's 800,000 civilian workers were told to stay home. Military personnel are automatically exempted.
More like this:
- General Atomics Predator drone receives first-ever "drone medal" — March 11, 2013
- American Interests — Jan. 19, 2006
- I Have More Money Than I Could Possibly Spend in Our Lifetimes — April 18, 2002
- How to Make Big Money in Bio-Warfare — Sept. 27, 2001
- After They Shot Juan — Dec. 4, 1997