Ian Anderson 6 p.m., March 7
Hagel recalls almost all civilian defense workers
Furloughed 400,000 to return to work next week
In a surprise announcement today (Oct. 5), Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel said he will recall to work next week almost all of the 400,000 Defense Department civilian employees who had been sent home when the government shut down, according to the New York Times.
Hagel made the move after Pentagon and Justice Department lawyers said they interpreted a stop-gap budget law to include larger numbers of workers. When the government shut down, about half the Defense Department's 800,000 civilian workers were told to stay home. Military personnel are automatically exempted.
More like this:
- Encinitas plumber says he was threatened and robbed — Dec. 12, 2013
- Playing Hard to Get, Chargers Prefer L.A. — Nov. 2, 2006
- Things That Go Boom!! — April 13, 2006
- Hear That Whistle Blow — May 29, 2003
- They Shall Be Dead, and We Shall All Be Free — Aug. 30, 2001