Susan Luzzaro 6:30 p.m., July 31
Coronado falls off "best beaches" list
While locals may be inclined to disagree, San Diego can no longer lay claim (officially, at least) to one of the nation’s best beaches, at least according to Stephen Leatherman, the self-styled “Dr. Beach" – America’s Foremost Beach Expert.
The beaches of Coronado have been ranked 5th or better in Leatherman’s list of the country’s 10 best since 2008, and have made the list every year since 2004. The local shoreline has fallen out of the rankings entirely after earning the #1 spot in 2012.
Leatherman has been publishing his beach rankings every Memorial Day since 1991, using a set of 50 criteria to rate various locales, including this year’s winner, Main Beach on Long Island, NY. Coronado, on the other hand, joins several others to fall off the list after taking a win to make room for newcomers.
More like this:
- San Diego ranks #2: the beautiful people — Nov. 28, 2012
- Local Unions Cheer, Republicans Decry Obama's Immigration Order — June 18, 2012
- Coronado Beach Ranked Nation's Finest — May 25, 2012
- You’re Worth Over 800 Million Dollars. Is it Enough to be Considered Old Money? — Oct. 4, 2001
- One Hundred Years Ago — Jan. 6, 2000