• News Ticker alerts

Michael Tuisee, who worked in a medical warehouse at Camp Pendleton, was sentenced to six months in prison today (May 20) for stealing and reselling expensive medical equipment that was due to be shipped overseas to treat injured Marines. In the long-running scam at North Island, Robert Ehnow and Joanne Loehr, both owners of defense contracting firms, were sentenced to 36 months in prison for bribery, money laundering, and wire fraud. Christian Hidalgo of Chula Vista was sentenced to 57 months in custody for running a loan modification scheme that cheated 120 persons of more than $670,000, and caused some to lose their homes to foreclosure.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Visduh May 20, 2013 @ 8:36 p.m.

Some justice might be better served if Tuisee served his time at the naval prison in Portsmouth, NH where the bad-boy squids and leathernecks do their hard time. I'll bet all his prison-mates would think his escapades and profits where just fascinating. Nah, he'll be sent to Pleasanton or Lompoc.

The North Island twosome getting three years are getting some real misery. Three years for what they did is probably lenient, but it is still a stretch to do in the pokey. As to Hildago, I know too little to really comment, but again it could have been worse (for him) but it also could have been more lenient.

Don Bauder May 21, 2013 @ 6:15 a.m.

Visduh: In don't know that Tuisee will get a country club prison. Those are reserved for those still steal hundreds of millions or billions. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston May 21, 2013 @ 7:56 a.m.

I believe that Portsmouth has been closed for quite some time.

Don Bauder May 21, 2013 @ 10:25 a.m.

tomjohnston: Whether Portsmouth is closed or not, and I haven't looked it up, Tuisee really belongs in a civilian prison -- but not one of the country clubs. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston May 21, 2013 @ 11:55 a.m.

No opinion was being proffered on the case, only pointing out that NP Portsmouth, which btw is actually in Maine, has been closed for quite some time, in excess of 35 yrs, actually. BTW, you forgot to mention that the Tuisse guy was also sentenced to six months of house arrest, three years' probation, must pay about $179,700 in restitution and must also forfeit $8,250 in ill-gotten gains.

Don Bauder May 21, 2013 @ 12:17 p.m.

tomjohnston: I didn't forget to mention the other penalties. Omitting them was deliberate. I seldom mention the probations, fines, etc. for the sake of brevity. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston May 21, 2013 @ 1:38 p.m.

Yeah, my bad. I forgot that you work under word constraints. Maybe it's just me, but in a case like this, I am always interested if restitution is part of the sentence. This guy stole from me and I would want to know if he's gonna pay me back!!! Perhaps other don't care, but I do!!!

Don Bauder May 21, 2013 @ 8:59 p.m.

tomjohnston: I understand your frustration. However, yours is the first complaint I have fielded about leaving out probation, fines, etc. info. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston May 21, 2013 @ 11:07 p.m.

Was neither complaint nor frustration, as I already knew before reading your story. If you find such minor details lacking in significance or value, that's your choice as the writer. Just pointing out that some folks, such as myself, like to know these things. Nothing more, nothing less.

Don Bauder May 22, 2013 @ 8:02 p.m.

tomjohnston: But others prefer brevity. The others seem to be in the majority. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya May 23, 2013 @ 6:23 a.m.

Well, it does appear that there have been a couple of attempts to re-open it. At least for commercial use, evidently.

None

Don Bauder May 23, 2013 @ 7:41 a.m.

Duhbya: You always come to the rescue. If Portsmouth is reopened, then Visduh has been miraculously blessed with the secret of eternal youth. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya May 23, 2013 @ 11:27 a.m.

I'll speculate that there are some eternal beings traipsing around in that prison in the wee hours. We have Fort Knox up here, (about 125 miles north of Portland) a pre-Civil War era monstrosity that was built after the War of 1812 to stave off the third British incursion that never materialized. We took our daughter there a couple of years ago, and it was definitely a spectral experience. Perhaps the fact that it was a haunted house Halloween event shaded the perception that it was indeed "occupied". There have been many reports of paranormal activity there.

Don Bauder May 23, 2013 @ 2:47 p.m.

Duhbya: The Fort Knox I will bet you would like to wander around in at night is the one in Kentucky holding all that gold -- or SUPPOSEDLY holding it. If you crept in and checked some night, you might find there is not as much gold there as we are told. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh May 21, 2013 @ 4:13 p.m.

I revealed my age and era with that comment.

Don Bauder May 21, 2013 @ 9:01 p.m.

Visduh: Don't fret. I hereby reveal that I turn 77 May 28. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston May 21, 2013 @ 11:09 p.m.

?????? (insert whooshing sound of jet plane here)

Don Bauder May 22, 2013 @ 6:29 a.m.

tomjohnston: You mean a jet plane should whoosh me off, depositing me in a pasture? Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston May 22, 2013 @ 8:16 a.m.

Don Bauder, "You mean a jet plane should whoosh me off, depositing me in a pasture?" ??????? Way to abstruse for me. Or perhaps it is that I am too obtuse? My reply was directed to the "age and era" comment made by visduh, which I was indicating by my use of ??????, that I didn't understand. The whooshing jet plane sound refers to something our girls used to do.When one of them would say something that the other didn't get, the one making the comment would wave her hand over her head while making a whooshing sound. That was her way of saying that the other didn't get it, that the comment went right over her head... just like a jet plane.

Don Bauder May 23, 2013 @ 5:59 a.m.

tomjohnston: Visduh was saying that his remark about the Navy hoosegow revealed his age and era. I was supersensitive to remarks that could connote being consigned to pasture. Best, Don Bauder