Jeff Smith 2:30 p.m., June 26
Tijuana’s protesting teachers successfully block border traffic
Teachers union blocked several lanes of northbound traffic for over an hour
Members of the national teachers union in Tijuana succeeded in their plan to block traffic at the San Ysidro international border on Wednesday, May 15th. As reported by the San Diego Reader before the protest, the union members planned to protest nationwide education reforms by blocking at least one lane of northbound traffic.
The protest was planned for 10am, but did not get underway until noon. The protest lasted for a little over an hour, blocking several lanes. The protestors left peacefully on their own.
More like this:
- New northbound lanes at San Ysidro POE to open Friday — Aug. 14, 2013
- Southbound lanes at Otay Mesa border crossing to partially close during overnight hours — June 17, 2013
- Tijuana teachers to block San Ysidro lane in protest of national reforms — May 15, 2013
- U.S. Considers Southbound Border Inspection Stations — July 12, 2012
- North and South — July 21, 2010