Matt Potter 10:28 p.m., March 6
Proposed Expansion Could Bring Trolley to UC San Diego
San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG), in partnership with the Federal Transit Administration, has proposed a project to extend the San Diego Trolley Blue Line northward to include up to nine additional stops, with a new terminus at the University Towne Center Transit Center.
Dubbed the "Mid-Coast Transit Corridor Project," the light rail expansion would include two stops at UC San Diego, one at Pepper Canyon and one at the Preuss School/Thornton Hospital/Scripps Hospital, with an option for a third near the Veterans Administration Medical Center. The extension would begin downtown at Santa Fe Depot, where the Blue Line currently terminates.
If the project receives environmental approval and moves forward, the work is expected to be complete by 2018 or 2019. Contractors will perform preliminary field investigation work on the UC San Diego campus beginning next week.
More like this:
- Chargers hawking combined convention center/roofed stadium — March 8, 2013
- Transit plan includes more air pollution — Nov. 7, 2012
- Port Releases Environmental Report on Convention Center Expansion — May 17, 2012
- Port Taking Suggestions for Improvement Projects — Jan. 11, 2012
- Pressing Need — Dec. 13, 2007