Ken Harrison 6:45 p.m., Aug. 23
Taxpayer association slams bonds it once endorsed
Poway's bond gets Grand Golden Fleece award
Blogger W.C. Varones points out that the San Diego County Taxpayers Association gave its Grand Golden Fleece award to Poway for its bond that raised $105 million but in the long run will cost about $1 billion. But the taxpayer association had endorsed the bonds initially. Former reporter and blogger joel Thurtell of Michigan initially exposed the bonds, and Voice of San Diego flushed out many more details. One such detail: "The [Poway] bond also had considerable cachet, thanks to a coveted endorsement from the San Diego County Taxpayers Association. Indeed, association President Lani Lutar's name was first on a list of five local dignitaries named on the ballot supporting the bond," reported the Voice.
Notes Varones, "The San Diego County Taxpayers Association represents developers and crony capitalist interests, not taxpayers. It is a pay-to-play organization, and its board and executive committee are a who's who of people doing business with government agencies."
Giving the Golden Fleece award to Poway for a bond the association had endorsed merits the San Diego Taxpayers Association getting the "Golden Gonads Award," says Varones.
More like this:
- Global chair warming — July 2, 2014
- Political sharpies behind big money hospital deal — May 19, 2014
- Irwin Jacobs bankrolls $2.8 billion San Diego Unified school bond campaign; Buzz Woolley opposes — Oct. 9, 2012
- Blogger Still Unhappy about Voice's Handling of Muni Bond Scam — Aug. 9, 2012
- Best eaters money can buy — April 21, 2010