• News Ticker alerts

The Austin Chronicle, in an article that was picked up here, confused Douglas F. "Papa Doug" Manchester, founder of Manchester Financial Group, with his son, Douglas W. Manchester, president of the Manchester Texas Financial Group. The young Manchester emailed the Chronicle, saying, "I do not now and have not in the past shared my father's views on same-sex marriage. I've been willing to put my money where my beliefs [are] on the matter with respect to [donations] to pro-LGBT causes." In a followup email, he told the newspaper, "My personal beliefs are that any two people, regardless of sexual orientation, should be allowed the same opportunities as same-sex couples with regards to marriage. The way I see it, it's fundamentally an issue of equality. I firmly believe we're all created equal, and therefore should have the same fundamental rights, opportunities, joys, etc. associated with marriage."

The young Manchester went on to say that his father, Papa Doug, "now regrets the funding he provided to Prop. 8 and has actively worked to make amends with those he has offended."

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

viewer March 21, 2013 @ 8:59 p.m.

The only ones to qualify for same-sex marriage, althought I generally don't believe in this controversy, be females.

Females-to-Females have ALWAYS had better relationships --- in understanding each other. Be it in home, business etc. Than male-to-male. There be nothing wrong with Lesbians. Males are (made) for aggression to each other. Unfortunately, the ones of REAL love can't create that to each other's same gender.

Don Bauder March 22, 2013 @ 7:20 a.m.

viewer: There is a reason why males commit more than 90% of violent crimes. It goes back to roots and physical makeup: as humans evolved, men were the hunters and women the nurturers. There are other factors, of course, but I think the evolutionary one is the main one. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh March 21, 2013 @ 9:09 p.m.

Wait a minute! How did this piece by Mencken end up with the Don Bauder byline? This needs to be corrected and now!

Don Bauder March 22, 2013 @ 7:21 a.m.

Visduh: I like to have my name mentioned in the same sentence as H.L Mencken, although I don't deserve it. But I don't think that's what you mean. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh March 22, 2013 @ 9:59 a.m.

No, it refers to Walter Mencken, the Reader's own satirist, whose pieces are often less strange than reality.

Walter Mencken March 22, 2013 @ 1:14 p.m.

Reality is a tough competitor. But I did at least get a comment from Papa.

Don Bauder March 22, 2013 @ 1:57 p.m.

Walter Mencken: You got a comment from Papa Doug? But not a job offer? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 22, 2013 @ 1:56 p.m.

Visduh: Oh yes, I knew you meant Walter Mencken. I was trying to make a joke. I guess it didn't go over. Best, Don Bauder

Sjtorres March 22, 2013 @ 12:43 a.m.

All of these "I don't believe in gay marriage" bigots are on the wrong side of history.

Don Bauder March 22, 2013 @ 7:23 a.m.

Sjtorres: I agree with you, although not all people who oppose same-sex marriage are bigots. They are certainly on the wrong side of history. And if you have noticed, public opinion now favors same-sex marriage, according to polls. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell March 22, 2013 @ 10:46 p.m.

"I knew you meant Walter Mencken. I was trying to make a joke. I guess it didn't go over. Best, Don Bauder"

This blog is no laughing matter.

Don Bauder March 23, 2013 @ 8:49 a.m.

Burwell: It's true that many things posted on this blog will arouse anxiety, rather than tickle one's funny bone. Best, Don Bauder

just_a_voter March 24, 2013 @ 10 a.m.

Since the Obama endorsement, several top GOP endorsements and the 4 for 4 victories in the 2012 state elections, the public has shown it is now accepting gay marriage. Isn't likely that Papa Doug is just following the herd?

Don Bauder March 24, 2013 @ 2:28 p.m.

just_a_voter: Actually, in the Austin Chronicle article, young Manchester acknowledged that his father still hasn't come around to favoring same-sex marriage. He regrets his pouring money into Prop. 8 -- probably because he lost some business as a result. Best, Don Bauder