Dorian Hargrove 4:30 p.m., June 24
Papa Doug's son says he is for same-sex marriage
Says his father now regrets the funds he provided to Prop. 8
The Austin Chronicle, in an article that was picked up here, confused Douglas F. "Papa Doug" Manchester, founder of Manchester Financial Group, with his son, Douglas W. Manchester, president of the Manchester Texas Financial Group. The young Manchester emailed the Chronicle, saying, "I do not now and have not in the past shared my father's views on same-sex marriage. I've been willing to put my money where my beliefs [are] on the matter with respect to [donations] to pro-LGBT causes." In a followup email, he told the newspaper, "My personal beliefs are that any two people, regardless of sexual orientation, should be allowed the same opportunities as same-sex couples with regards to marriage. The way I see it, it's fundamentally an issue of equality. I firmly believe we're all created equal, and therefore should have the same fundamental rights, opportunities, joys, etc. associated with marriage."
The young Manchester went on to say that his father, Papa Doug, "now regrets the funding he provided to Prop. 8 and has actively worked to make amends with those he has offended."
More like this:
- A cool extra million for Papa Doug's ex — Dec. 30, 2013
- Papa Doug Manchester buys Playboy Enterprises for $400 million — July 24, 2013
- "Papa" Doug Manchester is "Papa" no more — March 22, 2013
- Papa Doug gets the raspberries in Texas — March 6, 2013
- "Papa" Doug Manchester Continues Political Giving — Sept. 30, 2011