Marty Graham 5:30 p.m., Oct. 24
Two female victims found dead within 48 hours near U.S. border in Tijuana
One victim’s body dismembered, another strangled to death
Two women were found dead near the U.S. border in Tijuana within 48 hours, according to municipal and state authorities. The remains of one woman, who was reported missing last week, was found around 11:00am in a shanty home near the U.S. border on Monday, March 18th. The remains of the victim, identified as Claudia Verónica Palacios Espinoza, were found dismembered in a suitcase as municipal police were searching the colonia Las Torres.
The Attorney General’s office of Baja California gave details to the press on the case after the 26 year old victim was found. According to authorities, three suspects were arrested at the scene. Officials also stated that the suspects were in possession of gasoline, with intentions to burn the remains.
Another female homicide victim was found the day before, also near the U.S. border, on Sunday, March 17th. According to the El-Mexicano, the unidentified victim was found strangled to death around 9:00am. The woman was found in an abandoned vehicle in the colonia Libertad. Doses of crystal methamphetamine were also found in the vehicle.
The colonias where the victims were found are both built along the U.S. border, just under 12km (7.45 miles) apart. The victim found in the shanty neighborhood of Las Torres was found within a few hundred feet of the border fence. The victim discovered in the historic hillside neighborhood of La Libertad was found just over 1.5km from the border. Both neighborhoods have sporadically been victim to drug violence, as traffickers frequent the areas.
More like this:
- Man admits to dismembering woman with help of family members in Tijuana — March 19, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: Child Thief Detained in Tecate; Women Stole Batteries — Jan. 22, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: Criminal Charges against Mayor; 12 Killed in 48 Hours — Sept. 18, 2012
- Border Crime: Hit & Run; Domestic Assaults; Stolen Cars Recovered — June 16, 2011
- Border News: School Money Needed; Five Captured; Human Remains Found — June 13, 2011