Barbara Zaragoza 8:04 p.m., Dec. 19
Mexicali celebrating 110 years as a city
Capital of Baja California founded in 1903
Mexicali, the capital of Baja California, is celebrating 110 years as a city on Thursday, March 14th. The city, with an estimated municipal population of over 950,000, has been the capital of Baja California since 1914. The city began developing at the brink of the 20th century due to farmers taking advantage of the rich soil.
Mexicali lies in the northeast corner of Baja California, 180km (111miles) from Tijuana. The city shares the international border with much smaller El Centro, CA.
More like this:
- More than 8,000 ex-cons deported to Tijuana in 2013 — Aug. 26, 2013
- New narco-tunnel discovered in Mexicali — Jan. 5, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: New Regulation for Public Entertainment in Mexicali; Homicides in Mexicali linked to Narco Carrillo Maza — Nov. 29, 2012
- Border News Translations: Ensenada has a Birthday — May 15, 2011
- Mexicali, Baja California — July 25, 2009