Don Bauder 7:30 p.m., Oct. 24
San Diego man gets 12 years on child prostitution charges
A San Diego man was sentenced to 12 years in prison on Monday, March 4 for pimping out underage girls.
The 20 year-old Garcia, who pleaded guilty last August, “made thousands of dollars pimping out underage girls using Internet ads,” according to a U.S. Attorney’s office release announcing the sentencing.
One 17 year-old victim, according to a Courthouse News Service report, was beaten and stripped before Garcia “forced her into a cold shower, poured ice on her, and made her stand in front of an air conditioner,” for concealing $300 from him. Following the ordeal, she was forced to accompany Garcia to the Fashion Valley mall, where he used money obtained through her prostitution to buy himself a pair of $685 Gucci sneakers.
According to U.S. Attorney Laura Duffy, sex trafficking of children is a growing concern, and reports of such crime have increased as much as 600 percent throughout the Southern California region in recent years. Criminals have increasingly been using social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter to lure potential victims.
More like this:
- Aunt and uncle get prison for “pimping” their 12-yr-old niece — May 20, 2013
- Would-be pimp slapped down by Tijuana police — Feb. 21, 2013
- Escondido child-abuser transferred to Los Angeles County — Jan. 9, 2013
- Man sentenced for sex with 12-year-old-girl — Oct. 5, 2012
- Reina's Story — Aug. 7, 2003