• News Ticker alerts
<p>Travel.com has come out with a list of the most romantic U.S. travel destinations. San Diego is 13th on the list. San Francisco is first and New York second -- both understandable, plausible. But Miami is third. Miami? And Las Vegas is fourth, perhaps in the sense that it's romantic to lose all your money -- either to a slot machine or a pickpocket. Nashville is 10th -- well, for those who like hillbilly music, perhaps. Best, Don Bauder

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Visduh June 4, 2013 @ 5:50 p.m.

I'd have guessed that some spot in Hawaii was #1. And maybe another city there would be # 2. Then, and only then would I have expected SF to show up, and I'd have figured it would be close to a tie with San Diego. (SF can be a pleasant place to visit, and its views are stunning--when there's no fog blocking the view. Just don't try to drive and park while visiting there.) Yeah, I know about NYC, beloved by many but not by me. I'd think that Wash., DC was more attractive than NYC. One explanation for the high ranking of Miami might be that it is/was the debarkation port for many, many balmy Caribbean cruises, and the pleasure of the cruise in the tropics rubbed off on its start and end point. Lost Wages? I'm as puzzled as you are, but since I cannot stand the place, that's not unexpected.

dwbat June 4, 2013 @ 6:32 p.m.

I can see why Vegas was included: a wide variety of luxury hotel rooms and suites, great restaurants, spectacular entertainment and world-class shopping. I don't think pickpockets are a big problem there.

Visduh June 4, 2013 @ 8:06 p.m.

Do those things add up to "romantic?" Might it be the easy access to tying the knot with few or no questions asked?

Dave Rice June 4, 2013 @ 10:52 p.m.

Quite romantic! Got married there myself, and just got back from spending an anniversary weekend there listening to a cavalcade of semi-comprehensible punk bands performing in a vacant lot downtown or in seedy clubs off Fremont...but perhaps my wife's definition of romance isn't sufficiently traditional.

Then again, I'd rather vacation on the wrong side of Stockton than in Miami...

Don Bauder June 4, 2013 @ 11:16 p.m.

Dave Rice. Agreed. I have no ides why Miami is on that list. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 4, 2013 @ 11:13 p.m.

Visduh. Yes, those chapels for early morning nuptials are romantic until the next day when the people sober up. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell June 4, 2013 @ 11:27 p.m.

I think Dr. Tina Nova would agree with your statement.

Don Bauder June 5, 2013 @ 7:06 a.m.

Burwell: Yes, she would.. I haven't done anything on her adventures for some time. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 4, 2013 @ 11:08 p.m.

Debate. Casino owners are pickpockets. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 4, 2013 @ 11:07 p.m.

Visduh. Honolulu is on the list, but not as high as you might expect. ?Best, Don Bauder