• News Ticker alerts

If the accusers of Mayor Bob Filner are going to come forward this morning (July 15), as some are suggesting, then it is time to look at official public filings against those who, some say, should replace Filner. The mayor's major enemy is City Attorney Jan Goldsmith. Some have mentioned him for mayor. Let us, then, report on something that is a matter of public record. It was reported by the Reader's Matt Potter on Feb. 6, 2008. (I saw the document on which Matt's report was based. His reporting was impeccable.)

In 1986, Goldsmith's wife, Christine, filed for divorce. In a document dated April 15, 1986, she stated that Goldsmith "began yelling and screaming at me in obviously uncontrolled anger," Christine wrote. "He then gave me a hard shove to the chest and cocked his fist in an extremely threatening manner. All of this appeared in front of the children, causing them to be extremely upset and telling their father not to hit their mother. He then began throwing items off the kitchen counter in his continuing rage. I could not leave at that time without further aggravating the situation and exposing myself to potentially further harm" The next day, she slept at her sister's house with the children. "I am afraid to go back to the house...the Respondent is still there as I feel his anger may once again get the best of him and he may, in fact, cause physical danger to myself and irreparable harm to both myself and our minor children."

They later reconciled and said the 1986 incident was "our only serious marital problem." They claimed they had worked it out after going through several months of counseling.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

eastlaker July 15, 2013 @ 9:24 a.m.

As I suspected, it looks like both Filner and Goldsmith have some issues with anger and control.

Don Bauder July 15, 2013 @ 10:05 a.m.

eastlaker: Goldsmith got elected city attorney after Matt's item ran. Carefully note the response of Goldsmith's aide to Matt's questions about the violence incident. Some things we KNOW; others we have just heard rumors of. Best, Don Bauder

danfogel July 15, 2013 @ 10:17 a.m.

response to donbauder, "Carefully note the response of Goldsmith's aide to Matt's questions" I have read your story 3 times and the person who seems to be quoted here is the guy's wife. I don't find anything from an "aide". Am I missing something???

Don Bauder July 15, 2013 @ 1:53 p.m.

danfogel. Sorry. In editing the blog down, I left out the aide's role. Matt in his original post said, "In a statement issued by his campaign consultant this week, Goldsmith and his wife noted they have been married 33 years and said, 'At about the 12-year mark -- in 1986 -- we had our only serious marital problem and were faced with whether to work it out or terminate the marriage. We decided to work it out."

SurfPuppy619 July 15, 2013 @ 10:55 a.m.

Two sets of laws here, one for the 1% and one set for everyone else....

Don Bauder July 15, 2013 @ 1:54 p.m.

SurfPup: The 1% that elected Goldsmith, and to whom he genuflects, have different standards than the rest of us. Best, Don Bauder

David Dodd July 15, 2013 @ 11:37 a.m.

Was there any sidewalk chalk involved in the incident?

aardvark July 15, 2013 @ 2:46 p.m.

DD: I believe John Witt was city attorney back then, so I doubt he would have been bothered by chalk on a sidewalk.

Don Bauder July 15, 2013 @ 3:50 p.m.

aardvark: Witt or no Witt, David Dodd's question does raise another titillating question: If a battered wife writes in chalk outside her home, "My husband has not stopped beating me," will she go to jail and the husband go free? It could happen. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark July 15, 2013 @ 4:28 p.m.

Don: Maybe it really does depend on what or where it is written.

Don Bauder July 15, 2013 @ 7:31 p.m.

aardvark: If she wrote it in front of Bank of America, and that bank wept about all the money it lost cleaning up the erasable chalk, then it would of been a prosecutable offense. Mustn't let these darling banks suffer any indignities or losses erasing erasable chalk. That's a sin in San Diego. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 15, 2013 @ 1:56 p.m.

David Dodd: You mean did his wife write "Goldsmith is a rat fink" in chalk in front of the house? No such indication. Sorry. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering July 15, 2013 @ 6:17 p.m.

A reported incident some 27 years ago versus a documented and current history of offensive and boorish behavior by our Mayor. Maybe if you dug a little deeper into the past of our City Attorney you might have discovered he may have pulled the pigtails of classmate's hair in elementary school.

Twenty-seven years ago. Really? Is the best you can do?

Don Bauder July 15, 2013 @ 7:33 p.m.

JustWondering: The recent chalking incident was just a few weeks ago. I don't see much progress. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 July 15, 2013 @ 6:24 p.m.

"A reported incident some 27 years ago versus a documented and current history of offensive and boorish behavior by our Mayor." DOCUMENTED??? Please JW, get real, for once.

Don Bauder July 15, 2013 @ 7:35 p.m.

SurfPup: You are exactly right. The current charges against the mayor, as of July 15, involve nothing that is DOCUMENTED. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering July 16, 2013 @ 7:21 a.m.

Don: Filner's past boorish behaviors are well DOCUMENTED and much more recent than 27 years ago. Goldsmith's "chalking" case is/was a political stunt and hardly a just comparison to Filner's newest "alledged indiscretions" with subordinate employees.

While I'm not surprised by Surfpup's comment, Don, your agreement with it was. You're implying YOUR GOOD FRIEND Donna Frye is fabricating the alledged incident(s) or been duped by others. And, I guess Assemblymember Gonzales is just telling tales out of schools too.

Both these women are progressives, and sophisticated in politics. I personally don't believe either would be so public about this without being convinced beyond a reasonable doubt. If that's not the case what's their motivation for Frye's TWO public press conferences and Gonzales' confirmations.

SurfPuppy619 July 16, 2013 @ noon

While I'm not surprised by Surfpup's comment...what???...that I called you out that whopper "DOCUMENTED" lie???

Burwell July 15, 2013 @ 7:02 p.m.

Goldsmith is a sobersided temperate man. He would not beat his wife unless she was asking for it.

Don Bauder July 15, 2013 @ 7:39 p.m.

Burwell: Spoken like a macho man. I would suggest that you take your manhood to Texas where you could beat women into submission at will, if it weren't for the fact that you are such a valuable contributor to this blog. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell July 15, 2013 @ 8:13 p.m.

I've never beaten my wife for fear she might become addicted to it.

SurfPuppy619 July 15, 2013 @ 9:51 p.m.

I've never beaten my wife for fear she might become addicted to it. I've never beaten my wife for fear she might beat the living dog shit out of me.....

monaghan July 15, 2013 @ 11:57 p.m.

Classy repartee, gentlemen, with the exception perhaps of Just Wondering, who may be a woman.