Matthew Lickona 1:15 p.m., June 29
La Jolla doctor took in $3.4 million scamming Medicare
La Jolla oncologist Joel Bernstein has been ordered, along with his company, Joel I. Bernstein M.D., Inc., to repay Medicare millions of dollars after being caught in an illegal billing scam, Courthouse News Service reports.
Over a four-year period beginning in 2007, Bernstein’s office purchased $3.4 million worth of foreign, unapproved cancer drugs “for significantly less than market value in the U.S.,” then submitted claims for full reimbursement value of equivalent U.S. Food and Drug Administration medications by fraudulently using Medicare reimbursement codes for drugs legal in the U.S.
Bernstein (the corporation) was fined $500,000, ordered to forfeit $1.2 million and pay an additional $1.7 million in restitution as part of a guilty plea entered in January. Bernstein (the person) pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of introducing unapproved drugs into interstate commerce, and faces sentencing today (July 2).
More like this:
- Complex identity theft scheme ends with 3 year sentence — June 28, 2013
- La Jolla oncologist pleads guilty to importing unapproved drug — Jan. 23, 2013
- Admitted fraudster's medical website still operating — Oct. 5, 2012
- Unapproved foreign prescription drugs flow through local pharmacy — Oct. 2, 2012
- La Jolla resident convicted of selling compromised cancer treatment drugs — Aug. 28, 2012