David Batterson 12:30 p.m., May 26
Deputy Sheriffs' Association Files Lawsuit Against County
Tensions mount over public employee pensions. Sheriffs' union files suit.
Tensions continue to mount between the Deputy Sheriffs' Association and the County of San Diego over pension obligations.
In a lawsuit filed on January 4, the union accused the County of violating current pension agreements by implementing the California Public Employee Pension Reform Act signed into law by Governor Jerry Brown in September of 2012.
The Deputy Sheriffs' Association claims, however, that the County is rushing to implement the new law to save cash despite the fact that the current agreements are still valid.
"The County has communicated clearly to representatives of the [Deputy Sheriffs' Association] that it plans to implement the provisions of Section 7522.30(c) to cause all new members hired...to pay contributions equal to 50 percent of the normal cost rate for the applicable retirement formula effective January 1, 2013," reads the lawsuit.
“Despite our best efforts and continued willingness to be at the forefront of pension reform, we could not reach a resolution regarding the status of our contract,” was the statement from David Schaller, the union's president.
“The contracts we had previously negotiated with the county indicated willingness among our association to take strong steps toward pension reform. The most recent understanding dramatically reduced pension costs and saved millions of taxpayer dollars. The DSASD is sorely disappointed that the County has chosen to ignore DSASD’S past contributions and to persist in the conduct that left it with no alternative but to pursue this lawsuit.”
The case was handed over to Superior Court Judge Timothy Taylor. A conference on the matter will be held on June 7 of this year.
More like this:
- Filner transition team to be headed by lobbyist for big developer with storied history of campaign finance violations — Nov. 8, 2012
- Pension Reform Legislation - A Fig Leaf For A Tax Increase — Sept. 14, 2012
- L.A. Cop Union PAC, Other Police Union PACs, Pouring Last Minute Money into Anti-DeMaio TV Spots — June 2, 2012
- A Better San Diego Forum Attacks Props A, B — April 21, 2012
- Nathan Fletcher Pledges to Lead by Example on Pension Reform — March 12, 2012