• News Ticker alerts

Two former Reserve Marine Sergeants, Luis Gilbert Menchaca and Manuel Ramos Padilla, have pleaded not guilty to federal bribery and fraud charges for alleged offenses occurring at Marine Corp Air Station Miramar. According to the U.S. Attorney's office, the indictment charges that Ramos and Menchaca conspired to submit false monthly claims for lodging reimbursements and fake rental bills to substantiate the claims. According to the government, the address of the place that Menchaca claimed to be renting didn't exist. Each of the reservists received "tens of thousands of dollars" over nine years as a result of the scheme. That would appear to top phony expense accounts submitted by employees of corporations.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Burwell Feb. 19, 2013 @ 7:25 p.m.

These two Marines are rotten to the Corps.

Don Bauder Feb. 19, 2013 @ 9:28 p.m.

Burwell: I wish I had thought of that. Congrats. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering Feb. 20, 2013 @ 2:34 a.m.

....GROAN...

Burwell: Even though this is ANOTHER sad story of the demise of our culture and values, the paronomasia IS appreciated. For it does take effort, education as well as a slightly warped, if not a healthy, view of our societal shortcomings to come up with them. Congratulation.

Don Bauder Feb. 20, 2013 @ 7:03 a.m.

JustWondering: Yes, it's another example of cultural decline, but turning in phony expense accounts has been going on for many decades, if not centuries. It's the sum, "tens of thousands of dollars," and the falsification of supporting documents that makes this one stand out. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering Feb. 20, 2013 @ 9:23 p.m.

Sadly Don it's not the sum. It IS the act AND their choices that brings dishonor on themselves. Our culture is in such decline I believe they think they are "owed" or entitled to these monies.

Don Bauder Feb. 20, 2013 @ 9:44 p.m.

JustWondering: When a corporate CEO can be paid $25 million a year, and a hedge fund operator $1 billion a year -- legally, if properly disclosed -- you can see how those on the lower end of the spectrum want their piece of the pie, especially when that pie is shrinking. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering Feb. 21, 2013 @ 3:42 a.m.

Yes, I can see it. But as my parents told me ... don't use bad behavior used by others to justify your own. It's one thing to make a mistake of fact, and quite another to make a mistake of the heart.
I'm just wondering, why this case was not brought under the UCMJ statutes. I am assuming these acts were committed while these men were "on duty".

Don Bauder Feb. 21, 2013 @ 7:19 a.m.

JustWondering: I do not know why the charges were not brought under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. These two were reservists, but the acts were allegedly committed while they were on active duty. The US Attorney's office has been aggressively prosecuting cases against military contracting fraud. Best, Don Bauder