Anne Bradstreet 9 p.m., April 16
Two District 4 candidates pulling ahead in campaign cash
Myrtle Cole leading the pack in campaign contributions with thousands more than her closest opponent
Out of the nine candidates running for the District Four council seat, two are pulling ahead of the pack in terms of fundraising efforts.
So far Cole has collected the most cash. Since the beginning of the year, the former police officer turned union worker has raked in more than $22,000 in contributions.
The money comes from some familiar names in San Diego politics. Donors include elected officials Assemblywoman Toni Atkins-- $500, Christine Kehoe -- $150, Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, and school board president Richard Barrera-- $150. Other donors are Lawrence Cushman-- $500, Alicia Gwynn-- $500, Mel and Linda Katz-- $1,000, and maintenance assessment guru Marco Li Mandri-- $150, along with a slew of donations from representatives from the United Domestic Workers union.
The candidate with the second largest campaign account is former teacher and now executive director of LGBT Pride Dwayne Crenshaw. Crenshaw has raised more than $18,000 since announcing his candidacy. In addition to the fundraising efforts, Crenshaw also loaned his campaign $20,000.
Barry Pollard, a longtime community advocate and former council candidate, rounds off the top three. Pollard has raised $13,534 since the beginning of 2013. And judging by his list of donors, Pollard is a hit with taxi cab owners. Cab operators have pledged $2,250 to Pollard's council run, that's including a $500 donation from Assemblymember Ben Hueso's brother Jose who owns USA Cab.
Correction: An earlier version of this story reported that Crenshaw had only $8,671 cash on hand. I apologize for the error.
More like this:
- Ethics Commission fines PAC backing councilmember Myrtle Cole — Nov. 19, 2013
- One week before election, Myrtle Cole and Dwayne Crenshaw were fined by Ethics Commission — May 22, 2013
- Teachers union takes on GOP Lincoln Club in San Diego city council race — May 3, 2013
- GOP's Lincoln Club weighs in big for Democrat Crenshaw — April 23, 2013
- Myrtle Cole, Dwayne Crenshaw headed for runoff in race to fill vacant City Council seat — March 26, 2013