9 p.m., Sept. 28
Violent week in Tijuana with 12 homicides recorded
Despite increase in homicides, violence mainly isolated to certain neighborhoods
According to figures released by the Secretaría de Seguridad Pública Municipal (SSPM or Secretary of Municipal Public Security), Tijuana recorded twelve homicides from Monday, February 4th, to Sunday, February 10th. The most publicized of the twelve was the murder of a state police officer.
The majority of the homicides during the week occurred in two neighborhoods. The delegación San Antonio de los Buenos had five, while four occurred in the delegación La Presa.
Tijuana’s murder rate so far in 2013 is above that of 2012. Last year, slightly less than one homicide occurred per day in the city. That rate has risen to around 1.25 per day in 2013. Despite the slight increase in the early part of this year, the area has seen a solid decrease in homicides the last two years.
Authorities also released information on arrests during the week. Out of 44 drug related arrests in Tijuana, 19 of those occurred in San Antonio de los Buenos and La Presa.
More like this:
- Baja & Border News Translations: 6 Murders at 4 Places in the City Following Drug Seizure; Killers Chase After Municipal Policeman — Jan. 10, 2013
- Homicide count continues downward for Baja California — Jan. 2, 2013
- Son of Los Tucanes de Tijuana drummer arrested for kidnapping — Oct. 25, 2012
- Baja & Border News Translations:User of Counterfeit Notes Arrested; Two Arrested for Sex Assaults — Oct. 16, 2012
- Border News Translations: Drug Sellers and Sexual Attackers Caught — May 14, 2011