Anne Bradstreet 9 p.m., April 16
Hueso, Emerald reconfirm statements on DeMaio behavior
DeMaio claims charges are lies. Hueso says he answered Dalton queries truthfully
Carl DeMaio has taken the offensive, claiming on Channel 7 and to the Union-Tribune that the charge that he was caught masturbating in a City Hall restroom is "a lie" that could damage him and the City of San Diego.
But Ben Hueso today (Aug. 28) reconfirmed what he had seen. He is now a state senator. His office issued this statement: "I was asked by the reporter [San Diegan Rex Dalton of VoiceofOC.org] if I witnessed an incident involving Council Member Carl DeMaio and I answered truthfully. I would never maliciously disparage a person's character or impede their future with false or misleading information. This was difficult to share and I have nothing further to add."
Another council member, Marti Emerald, had seen Hueso right after he caught DeMaio in the alleged act of self-gratification. Emerald, reflecting on DeMaio's activity, was quoted in today's VoiceofOC.org, "I am glad this is all out. It speaks to DeMaio's character, maybe even his mental stability." Emerald said she had unsuccessfully argued for calling the police about DeMaio, "but didn't do so herself as she didn't witness the act, which she believed was known by all on the council," according to the Orange County online publication.
Continued Emerald, "For too long, insiders tended to keep secrets. There is no room for secrets. We have to be transparent -- up front, thoughtful, and responsible."
More like this:
- Local condiment company drops DeMaio's name from product in wake of allegations — Aug. 29, 2013
- Carl DeMaio's phallus files sexual harassment lawsuit against Carl DeMaio — Aug. 23, 2013
- DeMaio may change his mind, run for mayor — Aug. 23, 2013
- DeMaio's men's room masturbation went unreported (updated 8/26) — Aug. 22, 2013
- DeMaio Brings Rochambeau-Style Reforms to City Council — Dec. 11, 2008