• News Ticker alerts

Update: A version of this story was posted yesterday. The story will be updated as more and more candidates enter the race:

And they're off:

The race to replace Mayor Bob Filner is underway. Yesterday, August 26, five candidates, mostly unknown, filed with the City Clerk's Office to run for Mayor of San Diego:

Air Force veteran and first-time candidate Kurt Schwab was one of the four people to file a statement of organization to start their campaign. According to a May 2012 report by the local NBC affiliate, since returning from the Middle East, Schwab suffered bouts of depression as a result of severe Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

"When I came home I had no family backing, no friends, I didn't have a job. I was afraid to go out and talk to people - I was afraid that I might bother them, so I stayed inside," said Schwab in his interview with NBC.

Also entering the race is Jared Benjamin Mimms, owner of a Biotech firm in La Jolla, according to his LinkedIn profile.

Next up on the list is self-proclaimed Libertarian, Mark Schwartz. According to Schwartz's campaign profile, the only one of the four to have one, Schwartz wants to bring "honor and integrity to the office of Mayor. I stand for freedom, peace and self-reliance."

Last on the new list of filers is David Tasem, a tax-preparer in San Diego County.

The newcomers to the race, four days before Mayor Bob Filner is set to leave office, joins Tobiah Pettus and so far, the only high profile candidate to formally announce former assemblymember and mayoral candidate Nathan Fletcher.

Today, August 27, another longshot...and I mean longshot...has entered the race. One-time Libertarian candidate for the 53rd congressional district Paul Dekker filed papers needed to kick off his campaign. According to his congressional campaign page, Dekker is a transplant from Canada who works as a software engineer and systems analyst. He also served on the board for the Sustainability Alliance of Southern California, a group whose goal is to "minimize stress on the natural ecosystem" located throughout Southern California.

Go here to visit Dekker's website.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Yankeedoodle Aug. 27, 2013 @ 1:47 p.m.

I am a little confused about this election. Why waste all this time and money with pretense, when we could have the City Council appoint a mayor?

anniej Aug. 27, 2013 @ 3:19 p.m.

Integrity, fiscal responsibility, visionary, candor, fair, and at this point a moral compass would be appreciated by the voters.

shirleyberan Aug. 27, 2013 @ 3:30 p.m.

I'd like to see Brian Peace run for Mayor of San Diego.

Founder Aug. 27, 2013 @ 4:38 p.m.

San Diego is in between a rock and a hard place; I believe that there will be so much money pumped into this race that who ever wins will be just a "talking head" for their supporters that will want to "get San Diego Working" (AKA: lots of Big Projects, which will make their supporters BIG money while putting the City back into major debt-AGAIN)

If I ran, my campaign slogan would be: No More Debt Deals No More Stadiums No More Closed Door Meeting Deals No More Selling San Diego's Future, so the Wealthy can Profit now Solar, Solar and more Solar, I'd push to install so much Solar that San Diego could become: America's Finest Solar City. + I'd reduce my salary by 20% and challenge all City Council Members to do the same!

anniej Aug. 27, 2013 @ 5:06 p.m.

Founder- if only we coud believe without doubting. I am thinking we have been jaded by sooo many unfulfilled promises.

Your platform - sound.

Scott Marks Aug. 27, 2013 @ 5:32 p.m.

Just bring back Filner and be done with it.

oldnative1953 Aug. 28, 2013 @ 1:32 a.m.

When the City Council gets around to fixing the city charter, it should include a provision that all candidates for city offices go through FBI background checks that are then required to be available to the public before each election. No more surprises for the voters, please!