• News Ticker alerts

Carl DeMaio has just put out a statement on the resignation of Bob Filner as mayor. DeMaio claims "San Diego has been given a fresh start. Now is the time to put aside partisan differences to seek healing, foster unity and restore stability at City Hall."

His office also confirmed reports that he has been conferring with supporters and community leaders who have asked him to consider running for Mayor.

Hmmm.

He made no mention of the story printed in last night's (Aug. 22) VoiceofOC.org, picked up by the Reader, which exposed his alleged masturbation in a men's room in City Hall. Former Councilmember Ben Hueso twice observed him engaging in self-gratifying sexual acts, and told Councilmember Marti Emerald about one incident.

An aide to former Mayor Jerry Sanders also mentioned DeMaio's autoeroticism in a 2011 memo.

Once more: hmmm.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

anniej Aug. 23, 2013 @ 4:36 p.m.

Neither the CIty nor the people would be served if Mr. DeMaio should choose to run. The very last thing San Diego needs is yet another scandal.

Can you even imagine the headlines on Fox or CNN - not to mention late night TV.

Enough is enough - this fine City needs a new foundation laid on both the Republican and Democratic fronts - South Bay to North County - from the Coastal Cities to the East County - integrity and a true moral compass - can we agree to begin there?

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:09 p.m.

anniej: "Moral compass?" You can search hard for that in San Diego politics. Best, Don Bauder

KayL Aug. 23, 2013 @ 8:33 p.m.

The right-wing media will NEVER cover a DeMaio scandal. He can do whatever he wants and will never face any consequences.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:03 p.m.

KayL: He certainly won't be criticized by the U-T. If it even reports this story, it will try to say it is in error. Best, Don Bauder

Diogenes Aug. 23, 2013 @ 4:37 p.m.

DeMaio based his mayorial candidacy on his ballot measure that was ruled unconstitutional. He has allegations of masturbation in public. What exactly will he bring to San Diego?

Does he deserve due process? As much as he offered Filner who was tried in the press.

I am not that wild about Fletcher who is a DINO.

I hope a truly dynamic progressive could throw his hat in the ring.

Dream on....

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:10 p.m.

Diogenes: I agree with those who doubt that a progressive will occupy the office for decades to come. City Hall keys have been turned back to the downtown corporate welfare crowd. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:38 a.m.

I wish I had five bucks for every time you parroted that phrase: "downtown corporate welfare crowd." I could stuff a mattress with all that cash. Are you even aware of how much you repeat your gibberish? Apparently not.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:05 p.m.

David Batterson: It's obvious you don't know what goes on in San Diego. It's also obvious you haven't studied marketing and learned the importance of repeating a message. Best, Don Bauder

monaghan Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:41 a.m.

Diogenes, calling the slick opportunist Nathan Fletcher a DINO is an undeserved compliment and you are right not to be "that wild" about him.

There are layers of awfulness in politics, and "DINO" is surely one, but Fletcher far surpasses that label in his empty self-serving. He has always aligned himself with the Main Chance -- whatever that may be at any given moment -- and he skates by on sharp strategy, good looks and self-deprecating charm. (He is perfect for the San Diego establishment.)

It's how Nathan Fletcher married a G.W. Bush White House PR lady; how he became local chief of staff for military/industrial bribester GOP Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham and then bailed on him just before indictment; how he shamelessly promoted himself as a war-on-terror Marine (National Guard) to become a GOP member of the CA Assembly and at the midnight hour carried water to extend the life of redevelopment money for downtown special interests; how he unblinkingly exploited the murders of two teenage girls in his district in political ads during the 2012 San Diego mayoral race; how he turned into a registered "Independent" when he didn't get the County GOP endorsement; how he became a lapdog of deep-pockets DINO Qualcomm founder Irwin Jacobs and took window-dressing jobs at venues where Jacobs wields tremendous power and influence -- UCSD and Qualcomm; and finally, how the ultimate calculated cynical switch in political registration from "Independent" to "Democrat," will come just in time to run for the special election for Mayor of San Diego.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:08 p.m.

monaghan: Why do you suppose he switched from Republican to Independent to Democrat? He wanted that money. I don't know that he has views on anything. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 24, 2013 @ 11:14 p.m.

Don: Agreed, as far as I know. But I have not really looked yet.

aardvark Aug. 23, 2013 @ 4:59 p.m.

Let DeMaio run, and I hope he spends millions. He will not come close to winning.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:12 p.m.

aardvark: San Diegans should thumb him down for mayor and/orCongress -- whichever he tries to run for. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard Aug. 23, 2013 @ 5:10 p.m.

No time to waste, we need to get someone to run. Carl Demaio is good news I think, he will bleed votes from Fletcher as he did before. I might not talk up the sleaze for that reason. Marti Emerald might be a thought, or Lori Saldana. Help somebody, anybody but Todd Gloria, what a horrible man!!! Nobody seems to realize that healing they want involves placating those of us who saw our hero destroyed without a single word spoken under oath.

aardvark Aug. 23, 2013 @ 5:15 p.m.

Marti Emerald??? As my rep in District 7--ugh.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:14 p.m.

Psycholizard: Saldana and Emerald would be good choices. But as I said, the office keys now belong to the big money. Best, Don Bauder

KLoEditor Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:10 p.m.

Saldana is dishonest. Emerald covered up for DeMayo, and became part of the conspirators against the mayor.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:12 p.m.

KLoEditor: I have no reason to believe that about either Saldana or Emerald, other than all politicians talk out of both sides of their mouths. Best, Don Bauder

KLoEditor Aug. 26, 2013 @ 2:52 a.m.

Well she lied to me personally about a relatively minor matter. Which was unfortunate as well as mysterious since I liked her and supported her. And as I recall on a thread on Facebook, David Rolland accused her of lying about an interview during the election cycle, and seemed to have the proof. I think others chimed in, and/or maybe the vibe of the whole discussion was, that she was deceitful in an unstable sort of way? It was a long time ago when I read the thread, that's my recollection of it.

As for Emerald, you saw what she said in the article, that "everybody knew" about Mayo wanking, including herself, yet she never reported it or asked for an investigation. And here she was calling for the resignation of the mayor? Hypocrite, much? I wouldn't have her on a platter.

PBLiving Aug. 26, 2013 @ 10:13 a.m.

Saldana is not up to the job and really isn't very bright. She also lied to me and made it clear that I was not important enough for her to deign to respond to constituent queries after I stopped giving her money after her first run for the Assembly. She's refused to acknowledge my presence whenever I see her in public and say hello, but stares coldly at me as if she could or would kill me with her disdain. She talks a good, progressive line but is interested only in her personal advancement and future elective office, for which she has a huge sense of entitlement. Her candidacy would be a disaster and she couldn't raise the money. She raised only $20K for her supervisor's run against Roberts.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:21 p.m.

Psycholizard: Those who claim they want a healing really want a heel elected mayor. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:51 a.m.

RE: "Help somebody, anybody but Todd Gloria, what a horrible man!!!" So he's "horrible" in what specific way? Too gay for you? Too intelligent? Too charismatic? Enlighten us, please, with your wisdom.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:13 p.m.

David Batterson: Gloria too intelligent? Anybody say that? Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:54 a.m.

Can I please take an oath, and speak the single word you seek?--Repugnant.

KLoEditor Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:07 p.m.

No to Mayo, to Marti, to the Toad, to Fletch.

Not so easy finding good candidates in San Diego, is it?

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:14 p.m.

KLoEditor: Look at the record. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya Aug. 23, 2013 @ 5:32 p.m.

This provides a whole bunch of new meanings for the term "Hold De Mayo".

Twister Aug. 27, 2013 @ 11:03 p.m.

Apparently, if the actual witnesses can be believed, DiMaio is perfectly capable of holding himself.

Scott Marks Aug. 23, 2013 @ 5:39 p.m.

A time for healing? He must have been referring to Little Carl. DeMaio is for dew process.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:22 p.m.

Scott Marks. Again: time for healing? Time for a heel (again). Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:46 a.m.

You're repeating again. This aberration is getting worse, I think.

shirleyberan Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:10 p.m.

Martin Emerald (have to read more on Saldana) would do fine. Better than any of the men so far. She was investigative reporter and held out for Bob as long as possible.

Scott Marks Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:35 p.m.

I loves you, Shirley, but is Norm Crosby your official transcriber? It's Marti. ;)

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:28 p.m.

Scott Marks: Who's Norm Crosby? Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:42 a.m.

Yes, and he was hilarious. But Bauder never gets pop culture references. Unless you are talking about Sophie Tucker or Al Jolson.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:16 p.m.

Scott Marks: I thought that was Mrs. Malaprop. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:24 p.m.

shirleyberan: Yes, Marti was an investigative reporter on TV, and a good one. Best, Don Bauder

KLoEditor Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:12 p.m.

Emerald and the Toad covered up for DeMayo. I don't like hypocrites.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:17 p.m.

KLoEditor: If you don't like hypocrites, boycott politics. Best, Don Bauder

MeReader Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:38 p.m.

lol. after reading the voiceofoc article, it seems like in san diego's juvenile prurient political world that anything stupid is possible. afterall, if a mayor can get caught being stupid doing slobbering headlocks and playing grab ass with female staff and constituents, then a council member getting caught realizing the full potential of his own member on public property is also possible.

kind of hard to believe that being up on the city hall's council dias could get someone's jollies going with the need to rush out to the bathroom to take matters into his own hands. (Don't Look! Divert Your Eyes! My Eyes! My Eyes! AGH!)

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:26 p.m.

MeReader: But that seems to be the case, according to the OC article. He gets excited when he hears himself pontificate, then.... you get the picture. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:02 p.m.

Scotty - you know I have to look up the sh.. You say. Are you trying to tell me she's not turning far to the right, and not a bad man, so can't play with them?

shirleyberan Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:08 p.m.

That was a typo but I like it anyway. Martin/Marti.

shirleyberan Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:16 p.m.

Scott Marks - OK now I'm Mrs. Malaprop - I'm gonna try and use it in the future.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:31 p.m.

shirleyberan: Mrs. Malaprop made a name for herself. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:19 p.m.

Scott Marks: I don't know what good the picture will do, but I thank you for providing it. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:47 p.m.

Don - Thank-You, that is still a dream of mine.

shirleyberan Aug. 23, 2013 @ 8:28 p.m.

By-the-way those DeMaio jokes have been really disgusting and Don probably should have should have bleeped them, but joined right in! Really gross. (bleeped one of mine I thought was very funny) I'm gonna suggest that Carl get to an Alcoholics Unanimous meeting. :)

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:20 p.m.

shirleyberan: If I joined in in DeMaio jokes, it was by accident, I assure you. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 7:04 p.m.

shirleyberan: I don't have the ability to bleep comments. That's up to the monitor. Best, Don Bauder

BlueSouthPark Aug. 25, 2013 @ 8:24 a.m.

Props all around, both mal y bueno. Best comments in town.

Monaghan, great summary of the Fletch. As has been said previously, the only possible thing left for him to switch is gender ID. You never know.

Now. ... OK. Someone has to say it: DeMaio won't run for mayor because he has a deep-seated need to beat Peters.

Final thought for the day: Is dweebat dangerous?

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 7:05 p.m.

BlueSouthPark: I am not commenting on the puns. I am not anti-gay, and the material here is not homophobic. Best, Don Bauder

BlueSouthPark Aug. 25, 2013 @ 10:56 p.m.

Of course you aren't anti-gay, Don, and neither am I. It never occurred to me that irresistable, dumb masturbation jokes could be construed as such. Normal masturbation is a normal activity for all people (even animals), BUT in the right place, at the right time. Now is a good moment to remember that what destroyed Filner were allegations of behavior that is also widely viewed as normal, but it occurred in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Unlike the DeMaio behavior, Filner's alleged behavior wasn't immediately reported or documented in a memo to a City official. Allegations vs. eye-witness and documented accounts. Go figure. The newly formed media purity squads are going ballistic over "efforts to smear DeMaio," and they have suddenly discovered journalistic standards.

Don Bauder Aug. 26, 2013 @ 6:41 a.m.

BlueSouthPark: Don't count on them suddenly discovering journalistic standards. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 26, 2013 @ 11:32 a.m.

Blues: Perhaps you recall that one of the many specious arguments for Filner's persecution is that he couldn't be effective after this hubbub. Certainly the same thinking applies to DeMaio: any time he excuses himself from any meeting, who would bet that all work would come to a halt in his absence and there would be unspoken questions on people's minds after he returned? Much more likely scenario than Filner not being able to take care of business. We will not be able to test that prediction with Filner, and I hope we will have no occasion to test it with DeMaio. Perhaps he will be used as a straw man so that Nathan Fletcher can become mayor.

obecean Aug. 25, 2013 @ 7:59 p.m.

I guess DeMaio realized he has beaten himself all ready.

Don Bauder Aug. 26, 2013 @ 6:42 a.m.

obecean: Oh, please. Best, Don Bauder

HonestGovernment Aug. 26, 2013 @ 8:44 p.m.

Don, If you can, you have to watch at least the beginning of Keith Olbermann's new ESPN show tonight. He talks at length about the media, albeit in the sports world, in a way that will give you solace. He's just great!

Don Bauder Aug. 28, 2013 @ 7:07 a.m.

HonestGovernment: The NY Times has been reporting that ESPN and Frontline have been preparing a series on the NFL's mishandling of the concussion crisis. It appears that the NFL pressured ESPN to back out of the project. Best, Don Bauder

Twister Aug. 27, 2013 @ 11:09 p.m.

Not a single one of the present candidates for mayor is worth voting for.

Exactly how much will the two elections cost us taxpayers?

Don Bauder Aug. 28, 2013 @ 7:08 a.m.

Twister: The nation is wondering where San Diego mayoral candidates come from. Best, Don Bauder

Twister Aug. 28, 2013 @ 9 a.m.

I should have put "elections" in "scare-quotes."