• News Ticker alerts

The City of San Diego will indemnify Mayor Bob Filner for all or most of his costs in return for his resigning at the end of the month. The council approved the arrangement today (Aug. 23) by a 7-0 vote. (Two were absent.)

The City will indemnify Filner for costs of the Irene McCormack Jackson sex harassment case, paying his legal expenses as well as any possible damages. There could be settlements which the City would pick up. In short, the City will defend Filner. It will pay his expenses of outside lawyers up to $98,000.

If there are other suits beyond the Jackson case, the City reserves the right to consider not indemnifying the mayor, but that may be an empty threat.

Filner said he had loaded the gun but his enemies -- political and in the press -- had pulled the trigger. He said that he had never sexually harassed anyone, but said again he had mistreated women, and apologized for that.

Correctly, he said the City had been run for 50 years by a cabal, He didn't name it, but he appeared to mean he was referring to the downtown overlords whom he battled in his short tenure. He used the words "lynch mob mentality" to describe those who brought him down.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

strata66 Aug. 23, 2013 @ 5:51 p.m.

I agree that the city should pick up the tab, this was a lynch mob. Good luck to you Bob, I think I've admired you more than any other man in my life, and not in a gay way :)

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:51 p.m.

strata66: What's pathetic is the next mayor, Republican or Democrat, will be afraid to stand up to the downtown overlords. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 3:03 p.m.

That's your opinion (not a fact). It's too soon to say that.

Californian Aug. 23, 2013 @ 11:36 p.m.

You admire corruption, abuse of women, and misuse of public funds?

Filner's removal was a grassroots effort from a wide variety of San Diegans: poor, middle-class, rich, conservative, liberal, moderate. All types. All people.

Good bye and good riddance to a horrible politician. The people don't ever want to see Filner's face in San Diego again. He should go home to Pittsburgh and stay there forever (or at least until he goes to prison).

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:45 a.m.

Californian: I am afraid you have fallen for the propaganda blitz orchestrated by downtown overlords who want to pick your pockets -- and will. Best, Don Bauder

Californian Aug. 24, 2013 @ 11:24 a.m.

No propaganda, just observation and detailed analysis of his entire life. I knew Filner was a bad apple well before the election.

But if you knew nothing else other than the fact he spent 20 years in Congress that should have been enough to raise a corruption flag.

KLoEditor Aug. 24, 2013 @ 1:55 p.m.

Detailed analysis of his entire life? Bob should be flattered, lol.

if I knew nothing else other than the fact that anyone spent 20 years in Congress, I would shut my stupid mouth, but that's just me.

PMSL!

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:51 p.m.

KLoEditor and Californian: He spent 19 years in Congress, but who's counting? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:47 p.m.

Californian: Twenty years in what field would make you happy? A lawyer spending 20 years defending securities violation cases? Best, Don Bauder

KLoEditor Aug. 25, 2013 @ 11:41 p.m.

So Californian knew Bob was a "bad apple" well before the election. Such predictive powers! Tell me, did you also know that Mayo was a wanker? Was that in your crystal balls, too?

PMSL!!!

Yankeedoodle Aug. 26, 2013 @ 11:20 a.m.

A detailed analysis of Bob's entire life should be sufficient to demonstrate that he is a good, sound apple, and I am proud to have volunteered for him numerous times and to have voted for him. I wish him the best, for surely we will now be treated to our usual mediocre choices.

vitalinfo Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:14 a.m.

Californian: you left out "under- and mis-informed, ignorant, blind/deaf to corporate and political shenanigans, complacent, easily manipulated and brainwashed by TV info-tainment, too busy and/or overworked to seek details and connect dots and plain old suck-ups to corruption. . . .

I think you probably fit into a few of those categories.

From a native Californian.

Californian Aug. 24, 2013 @ 11:29 a.m.

Vitalinfo,

Are you speaking about Filner supporters? You forgot bullied by unions, but that is a pretty accurate observation. Good job. Hopefully next time Democrats will do a little research before voting.

From a native San Diegan.

KLoEditor Aug. 24, 2013 @ 1:57 p.m.

Actually I think Vitalinfo was talking about you. I say that because the shoe fits perfectly.

From a third generation San Diegan, lol.

Californian Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:25 p.m.

Filner supporters are so quick (insert eye-roll here). Like molasses.

I accurately sized up Filner well before the election. Thus, the media had no effect on my opinion. What I saw (and still do in many posts here) is the willingness of Democrats to look the other way when it comes to corruption, abuse of women, etc.

Anything for power and money. There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between Republicans and Democrats. Zero.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:59 p.m.

Californian: Are you certain you haven't been hoodwinked? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 7:01 p.m.

Californian: In your mind, the only research necessary is to read Republican propaganda. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:52 p.m.

vitalinfo: I have a hunch you are emotionally involved in this. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:55 p.m.

vitalinfo: I wouldn't be surprised if you are right. Best, Don Bauder

strata66 Aug. 24, 2013 @ 11:26 a.m.

I think you took a big bite of the Papa Doug poison apple, just like most San Diegans did and went running wild-eyes spinning to a recall sheet. Please explain the corruption accusation, I still scratch my head thinking about that. Misuse of funds? He bought a few things like a smoothie maker, maybe for the Mayors office. Abuse of women? Can't anybody see he is just a loving man spreading sunshine and good cheer, and not a molester or pervert or abuser. He's a hugger, like he said and we see. Never in your or my life will we ever cross paths with a more noble, experienced and sincere public servant. People like you have left this man broken, scarred and now a public pariah for the rest of his life. He is of excellent character and San Diego made a huge horrible mistake. We all lose because of it...

Californian Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:47 p.m.

strata66,

Your posts are the most disturbing I have seen here.

You think abusing women is "spreading sunshine"? Misuse of funds is nothing more than a "smoothie maker"? Sick. Just sick. You're the perfect example of a Filner supporter and exactly what made so many San Diegans sick to their stomach.

Filner is a terrible person and will be remember forever as a corrupt womanizer who did anything for power and money. Just like the rest of Congress.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:58 p.m.

Californian: I realize your mind is made up. You have fallen for media propaganda. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:57 p.m.

strata66: I see no indication that Filner was or is corrupt. Best, Don Bauder

KLoEditor Aug. 24, 2013 @ 1:53 p.m.

Californian is so cute, lol.

Let's ask him who he's supporting for Mayor.

Californian Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:51 p.m.

I don't see any potential candidates I like right now. Hopefully an honest and decent person will emerge who will put the people of San Diego first.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:35 p.m.

Californian: You mean you are not for DeMaio? Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 12:24 p.m.

Filner was the best mayor in the history of San Diego. He stood up to the Real Estate Mafia, and took 95% of the homeless off the downtown streets, just in 6 months.

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 3:12 p.m.

Hold on there. I did a story in October 2010 on conversion of the old World Trade Center downtown into a homeless housing facility: http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/20... Bob Filner had nothing to do with that particular project.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:51 p.m.

Yenkeedoodle: He tried to stand up to the corporate welfare crowd, and got mowed down. Best, Don Bauder

HonestGovernment Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:11 p.m.

Good luck, Mayor Filner. You gave a good farewell. Write a book, please.

dwbat Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:39 p.m.

Will it be sold in the fiction section?

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:56 p.m.

David Batterson: The fictions came from Filner's enemies. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 12:25 p.m.

The Union-Tribune, News 8, NBC News San Diego, etc., are fiction, not Filner.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:52 p.m.

HonestGovernment: I will be most interested in reading that book. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 23, 2013 @ 8:15 p.m.

It will be a scratch-and-sniff book illustrated with a cartoon Bob, and titled: "Where's Grabo?"

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:47 a.m.

HonestGovernment: I hope he waits to publish the book until San Diegans realize they have been manipulated by pickpockets. Best, Don Bauder

Diogenes Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:18 p.m.

The right wing accomplished regime change using the hostile work place/sexual harassment Card. This reminded me of a version of Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe.

The cast of characters included many of San Diego's brightest and richest.

After listening to the players, I could not help but grieve the loss of a good man with a vision, torn apart by the media, a media largely controlled by those exact persons who stand to profit most.

Women must be protected in the work place - I am the first to agree. But the shrill, largely self-serving Gloria Allred with her client who now speaks several decibels louder than she did at the first press conference grated on my nerves.

I can only hope that Judge Richard Strauss will transfer the Gloria Allred circus to El Centro.

paulmclarke Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:25 p.m.

Thanks for the laugh with the phrase "the loss of a good man".

Did somebody die? No, just some self-centered buffoon finally got off the stage.

dwbat Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:35 p.m.

Well, the stage manager had called for the big stage hook. "Fleeting Fingers" Filner saw this coming, so he did an Exit, Stage Left. But not before delivering a loud Bronx Cheer at the audience.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:49 a.m.

David Batterson: In referencing the lynch mob, Filner was speaking the truth to San Diegans, who aren't accustomed to that. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:18 a.m.

I wasn't aware that you had become San Diego's Speaker of the Truth at your high and mighty mountain perch, looking down on us mere unenlightened mortals. When were you appointed as Mahatma Gandhi's successor.? I missed that memo or newsletter, I guess.

Duhbya Aug. 24, 2013 @ 12:27 p.m.

Batsheeite, I must admit that your posts have become a source of high entertainment since I recently realized that about 80% of the accusations you make are simply self-revelatory.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 12:40 p.m.

You may think what you like. That's what helps make this a great nation.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:39 p.m.

David Batterson: Somebody is sure unenlightened. Best, Don Bauder

KLoEditor Aug. 25, 2013 @ 11:47 p.m.

Oh brother. Third grade insults. Can you do no better, Bat?

Must have been a low rent troll school, lol.

Duhbya Aug. 26, 2013 @ 5:22 a.m.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:58 p.m.

paulmclarke: Whoever succeeds Filner is almost guaranteed to be in the pockets of the downtown corporate welfare boosters.

Money talks. Why must it nauseate? Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:58 p.m.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:51 a.m.

David Batterson: I enjoy your comments. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:21 a.m.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:41 p.m.

KLoEditor Aug. 24, 2013 @ 2:07 p.m.

KLoEditor Aug. 24, 2013 @ 2:04 p.m.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:48 p.m.

John Kitchin Aug. 26, 2013 @ 8:55 p.m.

dwbat Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:38 p.m.

From what I understand, there's rarely a change of venue for civil cases. But Filner better settle, if he has an ounce of sense left.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:05 p.m.

Diogenes: That's how law enforcement gets what it wants: it threatens to break someone financially until he or she gives in. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:12 a.m.

Gloria Allred is not a part of "law enforcement" (but flying fast and loose with accuracy while blogging seems to be your forte).

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:52 a.m.

David Batterson: Gloria Allred is not part of this agreement. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 11:11 p.m.

I didn't say she was. Keep up with the thread, and quit guessing. When I said settle, I was referring to the civil case brought by Allred (not the mediation). Scroll up and READ what I said before responding and then thinking you are right. Once again, you were off-base. What's that?--About 50 times by now? Correcting you constantly is an ongoing battle; it never ends.

KLoEditor Aug. 25, 2013 @ 11:50 p.m.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:59 p.m.

David Batterson: Unfortunately, changes of venue are rare. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 23, 2013 @ 8:02 p.m.

That's what I said above: "...there's rarely a change of venue for civil cases." What is wrong with you? Go take a nap.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:54 a.m.

David Batterson: You and Randy seem to be like most free lance writers: you don't have much to do. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:02 a.m.

Does "reporting graffiti" count? (DWB 08/23 6:04 pm)

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 12:42 p.m.

That is one of MANY things I do. Tag along some day and observe.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:42 p.m.

Duhbya: I don't know how remunerative it is. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:25 a.m.

You would be gasping for breath if you tried to keep up with me. I actually keep very busy in my life. If you knew me, you would be surprised. Writing is only PART of my activities (which I revealed in an earlier comment to someone else who said I needed to keep busy). Don't make assumptions about people you don't know; it only makes you look stupid.

Ponzi Aug. 23, 2013 @ 8:37 p.m.

Changes in venue are more common for civil cases. Not because of pre-trial publicity, but because one party can prove the new venue is more convenient to both parties.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:54 p.m.

Diogenes: You have it right: the local media are owned or controlled by those who have the most to gain from Filner's departure. Best, Don Bauder

Diogenes Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:54 p.m.

I would not have voted for DeMaio.

You and I have the experience in life and politics to see the dialectical reality.

The rich have gotten 10X more of an increase in income during the past 11 years than did everyone else.

I guess that means they worked 10x harder than everyone else to some people who ignore the way th financial pie is divided.

Women do better with more income and education. Those who favor policies that make the rich richer do far more harm to women than getting a pat on the butt, patronizing though it might be.

Half of the victims admt that nothing happened.

99.9% of women will do worse financially under "conservatve" policies.

Was Filner wrong, if he did it? Sure. But it was all about regime change for money.

KayL Aug. 23, 2013 @ 8:23 p.m.

Republicans hate women as a matter of party policy. The first so-called progressive woman who whined about Filner and then complains about the new conservative regime can kindly go self-copulate. Self-righteous bitches.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:21 p.m.

KayL: While I appreciate your indignation and sorrow, I wish you would take back the invective of the last word in your comment. You do not need to resort to that to make your point, in my opinion. The men were hardly any better.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:46 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: I agree with you. KayL should take back the invective. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:56 a.m.

Diogenes: And you may have the opportunity to reject DeMaio's candidacy again. Despite the masturbation revelations, he is thinking of running for mayor again. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:45 p.m.

Diogenes: Now we are getting down to interesting topics. I am tiring of the mud-throwing. Over the last several decades, middle class income has gone nowhere while income of the upper 1% and upper 10% has zoomed. This maldistribution of wealth and income is one of our most cancerous problems economically, because consumption is 71`% of GDP. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 3:58 p.m.

Diogenes: Yes, this whole thing was about regime change for money. And the planning began the day Filner was elected. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 12:28 p.m.

Be careful, because making such intelligent comments as that can get you into trouble with the Real Estate Mafia, and they cause you to lose your job and your apartment lease. Best comment in the string.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 3:59 p.m.

NZ9F: Developers abhor truth in San Diego. Best, Don Bauder

Californian Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:32 p.m.

Today, the people of San Diego have overcome a corrupt and wicked man!

August 23rd will forever be celebrated in San Diego as:

The day right defeated wrong.

Good destroyed evil.

Honor halted corruption.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7 p.m.

Californian: Overcome corruption? You mean welcomed corruption back. Best, Don Bauder

Californian Aug. 23, 2013 @ 10:40 p.m.

Filner brought Washington DC corruption to San Diego. He didn't just treat women like 2nd class citizens. That was the tip of the dirty iceberg. He is also being investigated by the FBI for corruption and bribe taking. Not to mention embezzlement of public funds. And all of that in just 6 months!

Could you imagine 4 years of this? San Diego would have devolved into Chicago or Detroit!

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:57 a.m.

Californian: Embezzlement? You are hallucinating. Best, Don Bauder

Diogenes Aug. 24, 2013 @ 5:23 p.m.

Pardon me but I accidentally flagged your comment.

Please disregard.

monaghan Aug. 24, 2013 @ 11:02 p.m.

Excuse me, I think it was GOP Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham who brought "Washington DC corruption to San Diego." Cunningham went to prison for selling his votes for bribes and was the boss of Nathan Fletcher who has filed to run for mayor in the next matchup.

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 12:30 p.m.

No comment, except that you may not be intelligent enough, Californian, to understand the difference between lies told by the news media versus the truth.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:01 p.m.

Californian: You have bought into a fatuous scenario cooked up by thoroughly dishonest San Diego officials. Best, Don Bauder

ImJustABill Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:34 p.m.

I think it was the right thing to do. I wouldn't go so far as saying good destroying evil and I definitely wouldn't say this halted corruption.

KayL Aug. 23, 2013 @ 8:24 p.m.

If anything, it encouraged corruption.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:59 a.m.

ImJustABill: This will intensify corruption. Wait until the economically fatuous convention center expansion goes through and a billion dollar stadium for a billion dollar family goes up. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:51 a.m.

Don: Did you see the Manchester U-T this morning? The cheerleading has begun in earnest again about the convention center expansion and new stadium. We know the convention center expansion is basically spending $520 mil for one convention (ComicCon), but that isn't important to Downtown interests. I guess they need a bigger monument to, well, something. A new stadium--according to the Manchester U-T, Filner was "indifferent" as to whether the Chargers stayed or went. "We don't think that reflects how San Diegans feel." I am sure team officials and city leaders will do all they can to ram this through WITHOUT putting it on the ballot, lest they find out how San Diegans really feel about a new stadium. Personally, I am all for a new stadium--just not at high taxpayer expense. Unfortunately, I know that will not be the case, as the taxpayers will end up taking it in the shorts twice on this. Once, on the convention center expansion and two, on a new stadium. Ironically, I was for getting rid of Filner, but as you said many times, it would be at the detriment of the city. And so the fleecing begins anew...

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 12:47 p.m.

Here's what Todd Gloria told me a year ago, about building the new stadium downtown: http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/20...

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:49 p.m.

aardvark: How do you think they got the absurd convention center expansion through? By not putting it to a vote. These autocrats will be taking over city government again. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9 p.m.

Don: Isn't there a lawsuit (lawsuits?) winding it's way through the courts in regards to the expansion and it's funding mechanisms?

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:03 p.m.

ImJustABill: How could good have destroyed evil when the money was lined up behind evil? Best, Don Bauder

vitalinfo Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:08 a.m.

The day that "San Diego: Stupid is as Stupid Does" is adopted as the new motto for America's Finest Plantation.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:51 p.m.

vitalinfo: I thought that motto had already been adopted. If not, congratulations for your ingenuity. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 12:33 p.m.

The San Diego Homeless News just went back to calling America's "Finest" City what it used to call it: "America's Stupidest City".

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:05 p.m.

NZ9F: I wouldn't say that. Think of all those redneck cities in the South. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:02 p.m.

Twister: Unfortunately, the majority of San Diegans now agree with Californian's mawkish sentiments. Best, Don Bauder

Californian Aug. 23, 2013 @ 11:08 p.m.

The majority of San Diegans think women should be respected, that politicians shouldn't take bribes, and that tax dollars should be spent in the public's best interest.

So I take it you, like Filner, are not with the majority.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:30 a.m.

Remember, the last few weeks it's been the "Bob and Bauder" show: they're blood brothers; they're two of a kind!

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:07 p.m.

David Batterson: That is so ridiculous I wouldn't dignify it with a response. I believe you should see a psychiatrist as early as tomorrow. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:52 p.m.

Californians: The majority of San Diegans think politicians shouldn't take bribes? Where you been? Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 12:35 p.m.

The majority of San Diegans are too stupid to know anything about anything. That is all that is proven here.

dwbat Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:50 p.m.

Wow, did someone write Filner's speech for him? Those angry utterances of "coup" and "hysteria" sort of stuck out like a sore thumb.

vitalinfo Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:21 a.m.

Yeah they did, stuck out like a sore thumb and in like a thorn because the statements are true. No worries, you're going to soon be back to the smooth talkers that will be screwing you and everyone from all angles, very quietly and sweetly like music to your ears.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:28 a.m.

No, they stuck out like a sore thumb because it sounded like Filner had secretly hired Bauder as his speechwriter.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:54 p.m.

vitalinfo: True statements were almost unheard of until Filner took over. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 12:36 p.m.

New entry for best comment in the entire string.

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 1:58 p.m.

Bauder has a completely true idea of what happened. The only thing he does not know is that the allegations of sexual harassment are false.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:08 p.m.

David Batterson: Again, make an appointment with a shrink. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 6:47 p.m.

Don't need one, dear. Thanks for your concern, though. Always a pleasure hearing your words of wonder.

Don Bauder Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:03 p.m.

David Batterson. Sorry. I haven't communicated with Filner, directly or indirectly, for three years. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:54 p.m.

David Batterson: Neither. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering Aug. 24, 2013 @ 7:15 a.m.

Indirectly???? You don't give yourself, or the The Reader credit.

How bout this/your blog? You've been such a fanboy towards Filner here. And that doesn't count the hundreds if not well over a thousand comments since this fiasco began. In all you portrayed Filner as the victim of the cabal of downtown overlords who, as you imply, control our very lives. This, of course, is nonsense. Filner is the victim of his own documented acts.

While the communication, albeit indirectly, is definitely present. All ones needs to do is read Filner's farewell pontificating. Filner nearly, if not actually, uses the same language you have used. Is he quoting Bauder? Who knows for sure. But there's no doubt in my mind indirect communication has occurred.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:32 a.m.

JustWondering: My point exactly. Filner may have been following the blog here all along, and just grabbed the buzz-phrases for free from Bauder's brotherly, bombastic blasts of BS.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:56 p.m.

JustWondering: Your mind is playing tricks on your again. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:50 p.m.

No Don.... It's your Jedi mind tricks which are no longer working. Trying to make us believe Filner was a victim of the "cabal" is something even George Lucas' imagination would have never found creditable.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 3:53 p.m.

JustWondering: If you haven't figured out what Allred pulled, I feel very sorry for you. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:03 p.m.

I have dealt with the Mafia and their news media for something like 45 years, and it all fits with hundreds of other similar cases, usually not as involved as sacking a Mayor. He did innocent office flirting, this was exaggerated into sexual harassment, witnesses were brought in from Washington where he actually DID do some of that years ago, and actresses were hired to say they were witnesses. Happens every day.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:10 p.m.

JustWondering: I would estimate that there have been more than 3000 comments here since the Filner imbroglio began -- roughly half of them mine. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 6:50 p.m.

Yeah, tell us about it. Your screed spreads like a bad virus.

BlueSouthPark Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:06 p.m.

Good luck, BobFilner. You did the best you could in a town full of hyenas and jackals. You'll go on to do other good things.
To those of us who voted for you and would do so again, we got the political sanity we hoped for. To those of you who destroyed a good person, you'll get what you deserve. Coming soon.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:57 p.m.

BlueSouthPark: I'm sure this has been very hard on him physically. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:06 p.m.

New nomination for best comment in the string, BlueSouthPark.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:12 p.m.

NZ9F: Do I hear a second? Best, Don Bauder

ImJustABill Aug. 23, 2013 @ 7:47 p.m.

Nice "apology" by FIlner. My favorite quote: "But they found with those weapons and they used them, in a bloody and vicious way." While calling Filner a "sociopath" might be a little hyperbolic it's not far off the mark.

To the few of us here who actually believe that having a "D" next to one's name doesn't automatically make a politician above reproach Filner is clearly a world-class jerk who had no place in public office.

Good Riddance.

dwbat Aug. 23, 2013 @ 8:10 p.m.

You should not be calling him a sociopath! Instead use.......whackjob! The only office he should occupy is a home office (with no employees).

dwbat Aug. 23, 2013 @ 10:28 p.m.

Darn, I forgot about that. Probably better install some security cameras.

ImJustABill Aug. 24, 2013 @ 5:31 a.m.

Maybe if he goes from just a really, really arrogant and disrespectful person to completely loony. Like if he develops a 2nd personality that is really nice and humble. It would be like watching Gollum talk to himself in Lord of the Rings.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:39 a.m.

hahahahaha. That sure paints a picture.

aardvark Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:54 a.m.

Harassing himself? Apparently, that description would fit Carl DeMaio (allegedly).

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:07 p.m.

Sociopath? Filner? No, maybe ImJustABill.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:16 p.m.

David Batterson: I remember when Heywood Sanders, the nation's expert on convention centers, warned San Diego of the vast glut in the industry, and also explained how the San Diego center was rigging its statistics. Some flack for the center called Sanders a "whackjob." The City's auditor came out with a report showing how the center was twisting its statistics, just as Sanders had said. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 6:55 p.m.

Yes, I DO read the Reader. I saw the piece. And I agreed with Sanders. No schoolmarm lectures, please. Save those for your Journalism 101 students.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:59 p.m.

ImJustABill: "A little hyperbolic?" It came from a liar: Goldsmith. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 23, 2013 @ 9:06 p.m.

Yikes! The Mob, using their media cronies, completely exaggerated what was mostly office flirting, and then found liars to back that up. Happened to me once, big press media event. And, do you know what a "cabal" is? Some clues on my website, www.NZ9F.com/Gnosis.

John Kitchin Aug. 23, 2013 @ 10:37 p.m.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9 p.m.

NZ9F: There is a difference between flirting/teasing and harassment. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:10 p.m.

I agree, and he did one but not the other, if his case is anything like the many that I have seen in my lifetime.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:18 p.m.

NZ9F: "Cronies" is the right word. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 23, 2013 @ 9:07 p.m.

Oh, one other thing, Don, the Mafia routinely wiretaps using shotgun mikes from nearby hotels. That, too, happened to me. Dr. John Kitchin

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:20 p.m.

NZ9F: It wasn't the mob in this case. It was somebody in local government, I am quite sure. I hope to have more on that later. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 6:57 p.m.

Will Voice of OC be doing the legwork for you on that investigation?

John Kitchin Aug. 26, 2013 @ 9 p.m.

There is plenty of evidence it was the MOB, however they do run local government.

ImJustABill Aug. 23, 2013 @ 9:10 p.m.

I wonder how many major cities have had 3 mayors resign in the last 30 years?

Maybe Hedgecock can invite Murphy and Filner can all get an apartment together and do a reality TV show? Three disgraced former mayors of SD all living together. It would be hilarious.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:01 p.m.

ImJustABill: DeMaio can have his own show. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:23 p.m.

ImJustABill: Maybe the next mayor can make it a foursome. But San Diego can't beat Illinois. Four of the last seven governors have gone to prison. Best, Don Bauder

Robert Chartier Aug. 23, 2013 @ 10:18 p.m.

Let's focus on the business of running this city and not the pettiness of all this witch hunt in the media coverage. ALL city officials have skeletons in the closet. This poor bastard just went too far and got his tit in the ringer.

dwbat Aug. 23, 2013 @ 10:35 p.m.

Council President Todd Gloria, who becomes interim Mayor in a week, should get us back on track. I think he's exactly the right person for the job in this crucial period before the election.

ImJustABill Aug. 24, 2013 @ 5:50 a.m.

Well he's not obviously corrupt and he's not obviously a complete jerk. Those 2 facts would tend to make him better than most San Diego mayors.

KLoEditor Aug. 24, 2013 @ 1:51 p.m.

The Toad Glorious will not be warming that chair long, if what the Mayo article alleges is correct. Emerald stated that "Everybody knew" that Mayo was wanking in the men's room. That presumably includes herself and the Toad. Rather selective in who they demand resign, aren't they? Now that the story is out, the Toad and Emerald will have questions to answer as to why he didn't ask the city attorney to start an investigation. With two credible eyewitnesses, and additional witnesses to back them up, there was no reason not to report what they knew. Of course if the city attorney knew as well, as part of that "everybody," then there's no question he would have to resign, along with Emerald and the Toad.

So Bat, what's your connection to the Toad?

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:51 p.m.

No connection, other than writing articles about him. I have never socialized with him, nor will I, as that would be unethical.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:29 p.m.

David: You certainly seem to be very fond of him.

KLoEditor Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:21 p.m.

Respect a councilmember who routinely bans anybody from his Facebook page whose comments he doesn't like, even if they are in his own district. I can see him banning me, I was on his page for a week and pretty much wanted to bail but he saved me the trouble, lol. All the babbling about wanting to enter into the State of the City event in an egg like Lady Gaga, of Justin Bieber's haircut, of sexy streets (meaning repaved), the guy was so strange, I mean, maybe that played well in his area of town, I don't know, but the entertainment value did not escape me. After he banned me, and others, he took to being more serious, including his glasses. But first impressions for me have continually been buttressed by his further actions, including most of all his rabid and dishonest support for Jacobs Folly which disgusted me.

None

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 3:25 p.m.

I don't use Facebook, but I understand it's routine for people to keep others away that they don't care for. It's their page, not yours. Sounds like a good feature for Facebook to have. It's sort of like locks we have on doors: even if you try to barge in, you can't. Pretty simple stuff to grasp.

KLoEditor Aug. 25, 2013 @ 5:59 p.m.

Oh except for the fact that he's a councilmember whose salary I happen to pay, and who routinely posts about public projects on his wall while limiting the public's ability to comment on them, allowing only his admirers to praise his greatness, and that other councilmembers rarely ban people from their pages, while the Toad makes a practice of it. And by the way, even you would be hard pressed to find anything that I said on his page offensive. So clearly your understanding is as deficient on this subject as elsewhere.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:25 p.m.

David Batterson: Gloria? You can't be serious. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 7:06 p.m.

Have you ever interviewed him (in person) for the Reader? I have (and for another publication sometime back). Oh that's right. You live 1000 miles away. You can't.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:02 p.m.

Robert Chartier: DeMaio has two skeletons or more in his closet. See below. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 23, 2013 @ 10:42 p.m.

Lynch "MOB" is a good description, since a "cabal" is actually a Jewish Kabbal, similar to the Catholic K of C (illuminati) or the Protestant Freemasons (knights templar). They are part of the real Mafia, not the Hollywood Mafia of the Sopranos and Godfather. They run things like who gets into a medical school, who gets a real estate license, that sort of thing. A secret underground organization, and there are thousands. I give you a web link on a different comment for the entire nine yards on all that. University of Wisconsin? I worked there on a newspaper called "Off The Pigs!" and another called "The People´s Office News", but mostly I worked at the UWM Post, at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:04 p.m.

NZ9F: I'll bet you attended long after I did. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:13 p.m.

I am 61 years old, and also did some editing work for "Take Over", the hit Madison weekly newspaper. Filner and I marched with Martin Luther King.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:27 p.m.

NZ9F: Congratulations for your participation in the march whose anniversary we are now celebrating. Best, Don Bauder

MeReader Aug. 23, 2013 @ 11 p.m.

watching filner give his goodbye speech where he caters to his cheering supporters was a real circus. filner, as defiant as ever, was in real denial as were his supporters who were deluded into blindly thinking he could do no wrong. his supporters who were there all seemed to take filner's downfall as if it were all personal attacks on them. all of them are fanboys and fangirls who think that their idol could do no wrong. well, kiddies there is no santa claus and your hero got old and something is really wrong in his head. if anything, he's now a stubborn dirty old man who has problems controlling himself. the only other thing that would have stopped him is if he had a stroke or some other medical event. but he's probably healthy as a horse except for his apparent mental problems. sorry, although he may have been a calculating progressive hero in the past, but he is now one reckless wacko old dude nowadays. his supporters and other sympathizers are going to be crying even more when filner is most likely prosecuted for his OTHER crimes. this game is not even close to being over for filner. when he is prosecuted, it would not be surprising to see if a developing mental defect defense is possibly used as a mitigating factor. filner is just one big sad trainwreak.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:29 a.m.

Yes, his flailing "last hurrah" speech was pathetic. So many of us are upset that we wasted our vote on him. He betrayed our trust, and he got what he deserved. There was no "palace coup" in this sordid affair. But let's hope he gets the help he needs, that he can slay his inner demons, and find peace one day. One day at a time, Bob.

KLoEditor Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:23 p.m.

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 3:30 p.m.

I've never hated Filner (and never will). I abhor his past behavior, though. Two different things. But I sincerely hope he'll find healing now. No pretending from this end. You're judging a person (me) you do not know.

KLoEditor Aug. 26, 2013 @ 12:10 a.m.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:31 p.m.

KLoEditor: Will somebody tell me what PMSL means? Best, Don Bauder

danfogel Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:55 p.m.

reply to donbauder Seriously??? P*ssing myself laughing

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:29 p.m.

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 7:08 p.m.

paulmclarke Aug. 24, 2013 @ 1:01 p.m.

Could you buy a capital letter please?

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:33 p.m.

paulmclarke: Are you speaking of MeReader? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:06 p.m.

MeReader: There are some other notables who have problems controlling themselves. See below. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:15 p.m.

MeReader, Stupidest comment in the string. You get an "F". Prof. John Kitchin

milossd Aug. 24, 2013 @ 1:54 a.m.

i guess its back to the criminal activities for the city officials and big business.

FBI/Federal government do your job.

thanks for trying BOB!!

vitalinfo Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:46 a.m.

CA State Attorney General too? What when big business (those main stream media pimps feeding the masses an all-you-can-eat buffet of lies & spin--even kpBS), are great "friends and sponsors" of government and education?

Time to turn the composter over.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:35 p.m.

vitalinfo: Yes, this has been a business/government collusion...state, federal, and local business. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:07 p.m.

milossd: The question is whose side the FBI/federal government is on. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:08 p.m.

Psycholizard: Who will come forward to be assassinated? Best, Don Bauder

paulmclarke Aug. 25, 2013 @ 7:35 a.m.

My God, Don. Put the Filner Cool-Aid down, would you? He was "assassinated".

And you can spare me the Downtown Money Interests comment that will flow from your keyboard next.

If the choice is: A) Filner B) Corporate Welfare Queens

Why can't I choose neither?

ImJustABill Aug. 25, 2013 @ 1:53 p.m.

Exactly. I vote for C) Neither.

I can't believe in a city of 1M+ people there isn't one candidate who is honest, intelligent, and a decent human being

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:39 p.m.

ImJustABill: By its very nature, politics generally excludes the honest and decent human beings. But it does attract intelligent people. Filner was one. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 7:20 p.m.

I don't think people denied that he was "intelligent." But that's not enough for a leader.

KLoEditor Aug. 26, 2013 @ 12:12 a.m.

Bob is honest and decent, as well as intelligent. Rare qualities in a pol.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:36 p.m.

paulmclarke: You have already chosen the latter but haven't figured it out. Best, Don Bauder

Anon92107 Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:46 a.m.

This political and social disaster proved one fact above all others, many powerful people (sadly including Feinstein, Boxer and Pelosi) say they believe in women's rights but fail to actually win women's rights.

So in 2013, we still have not ratified an ERA that would end women's historic subordination to men and guarantee women full constitutional rights. Filner was a consequence of that failure.

Hopefully, San Diego's disaster will result in waking up We The People to demand that our politicians achieve women's rights now. The future of American Democracy depends on it.

ImJustABill Aug. 24, 2013 @ 5:37 a.m.

At least Feinstein, Boxer, and Pelosi all did the right thing and called for Filner's resignation. They all put women's rights in the workplace ahead of party politics. Obviously, the same can't be said for many on this blog.

aardvark Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:58 a.m.

Those golden girls were just covering their wrinkled (just an assumption, based on age) asses.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:42 p.m.

ImJustABill: At the time those Washington politicians came out, there was only one woman whose rights in the workplace were an issue. Best, Don Bauder

vitalinfo Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:55 a.m.

Women's rights arguments at a moment like this is like arguing for a drop of water in the desert.

Human rights and democracy NEVER were what was propagandized in this country, but the ruling 2% are dangerously brazen now. Just stay out of their way and stay in your place all children, women and men!

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:44 p.m.

vitalinfo: Every country's ideals are contradicted by leaders' actions. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:10 p.m.

Anon92107: In Washington and in San Diego, few fought harder for the rights of minorities, women, the underprivileged than Filner. Best, Don Bauder

Anon92107 Aug. 25, 2013 @ 12:50 p.m.

Don, children, women and the poor are our highest priority.

Far too many democratic women across America said Filner must go.

Let it go Don, listen to the women. Throughout history women have protected us dumbshit men a hell of a lot better than we have protected them.

It's time for us to demand Equal Rights For Women throughout the World starting in San Diego in 2013, we owe them everything for our quality of life.

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:22 p.m.

Both Gov. Schwarzenegger and Newt Gingrich had a much worse record on all this, but were Republicans.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:45 p.m.

Anon92107: Filner fought hard for women's rights, but his personal activities belied his ideals. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:42 a.m.

Ken: Snap out of it! Bauder lives in Colorado, so couldn't run.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:47 p.m.

David Batterson: He is also too old to run...and soon will be too old to walk. Best, Don Bader

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:11 p.m.

Ken Harrison: If nominated I will not run and if elected I will not serve. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 11:14 p.m.

I think there's an opening for dogcatcher, though. With your constant yapping, the dogs would freeze in fear so you could net them easily.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:50 p.m.

David Batterson: I would rather be a hot dog vendor. But I don't think the Padres or Chargers would hire me. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Aug. 24, 2013 @ 11:43 p.m.

Don: Are there any other points of intersection between you and Coolidge?

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 3:39 p.m.

That quote actually originated with Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman, not Coolidge. Many politicians have repeated it since then, including LBJ.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 5:06 p.m.

David Batterson: For once, you are right. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 7:26 p.m.

Not only once. You don't have enough toes and fingers to count all the occurrences.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 5:05 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: The quote initially came from Civil War General Sherman. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK Aug. 24, 2013 @ 7:38 a.m.

how many months will go by before the voters learn to hate the next mayor?

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:12 p.m.

Murphyjunk: Remember, the next mayor -- almost certainly a corporate welfare lackey -- will have the backing of the press, except the Reader. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:24 p.m.

Two months ago I would say that San Diego CityBeat would also not back a new Mayor, but now I don't know.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 5:07 p.m.

NZ9F: Sorry. I don't read CityBeat. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 3:45 p.m.

I wasn't aware the "Reader" editorialized in favor of, or against, candidates. There is no editorial page or op-ed page in the publication. You do know that, right? Do you actually read Reader articles besides your own stuff?

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 5:10 p.m.

David Batterson: Of course I read the Reader. Sorry I had never heard of you before. Best, Don Bauder

Familylawcourts Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:06 a.m.

The issue for all San Diego women is not one publication, including the Reader, is reporting the reality about the nightmare women in San Diego routinely, face.

Last week Judge Jacqueline Stern tossed an 11-1 jury verdict in a police sexual harassment case, against Oceanside Police Department, (OPD earlier was successfully sued for the exact same thing...and Oceaside's City Attorney lobbied for and received a confidential settlement so Oceanside's tax payers wouldn't know how much they were on the hook.)

In another case, San Diego Police officer was convicted of stalking a female officer, another Female San Diego judge, Judge Lisa Schall-Guy refused to grant the frightened female police officer a restraining order. More bad news. The stalker was an "Officer of the Year."

Try finding THAT in any SD media, including The Reader.

All this can be verified at www.SanDiegoJudges.com.

In closing, San Diego remains a misogynist's dream. All San Diego Media is owned by rich white guys not interested in women; period.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:14 p.m.

Familylawcourts: There have been many injustices to women in San Diego courts. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:26 p.m.

Let us not leave out the many men who also face injustices, and the many of any gender who face injustices that have nothing to do with their gender, in the San Diego courts.

Don Bauder Aug. 25, 2013 @ 6:11 p.m.

NZ9F: In fact, Filner was rough with men as well as with women. He is a perfectionist. Best, Don Bauder

patflannery Aug. 24, 2013 @ 8:58 a.m.

I hope Bob makes a fortune writing books, on the lecture circuit and on the talk shows. I only wish I were his agent. I read his 1973 doctorate dissertation which is both easy to read and very scholarly.

Now that he has managed to escape the bondage of a tiny people known as "Lilliputians" I hope he calls his book “Filner’s Travels”. He would describe the deadly battles he witnessed, fought with poison arrows launched through long “blow-pipes” called "journalists" from behind paper fortifications known on the island as “media organizations”.

These poisonous battles are fought between the Big-Enders and the Little-Enders i.e. those who passionately believe that eggs should be broken at the big end and those who insist on the little end, the outcome of which will decide for the little islanders which little warlord will become “Emperor of Lilliput”.

Filner, who stumbled upon this strange island by accident some years ago, was immediately secured to the earth by being tied with a myriad of ultra-thin thread-like restraints - the tiny Lilliputians did not have a prison big enough to hold him.

He was thus held captive for many years when suddenly and raucously he was convicted by a mob trial and sentenced to death for daring to preach "democracy" a completely unknown and totally unacceptable concept to these barbarous island people.

The occasion of his tumultuous trial gave him the opportunity to make his escape. The Lilliputians were so busy screaming at each other that they completely forgot that their puny restraints were a mere token as Filner could have escaped at any time but was restrained by his desire to bring the benefits of civilization to these primitive people.

As he finally departed the scene a Count Manchester, known to the islanders as "Pappa Doug" was slightly ahead in the bloodletting to a Prince Jacobs, known to the islanders as "The Dark Prince".

But the outcome was far from certain. Each warlord was buying up the local raw materials from which the best known poisons are traditionally made and were developing new and more deadly poisons every day. These wannabe "Emperors of Lilliput" were competing fiercely for the pettiest “blow-pipes” (small is beautiful on Lilliput) i.e. lawyers, politicians and journalists on the island.

Filner feels very lucky to have escaped this extraordinary island and is now living in a secure location from where he can tell the world of this terrible place which he named "Lilliput" but which the natives still call “San Diego”.

I can't wait for a "Swift" publication of his book.

KLoEditor Aug. 26, 2013 @ 12:26 a.m.

The only yahoos I saw on the threads at all the MSM sites and on FB were screeching for Bob's head, calling him every sort of vile insult, denigrating his looks. Their idea of wit was coming up with childish names like Feel her and Filthner.

The pro-Filner people were by far more intelligent, and their zingers were snark award material. At the very least they could spell and knew the difference between your and you're.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:35 p.m.

Pat: Now that's a cheery interpretation. I like it.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:16 p.m.

Pat: Swift is one of my favorite authors, too. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 9:07 a.m.

I can see why. You were born the same year as Swift, if I'm not mistaken!

patflannery Aug. 25, 2013 @ 9:38 a.m.

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 12:05 p.m.

That was a JOKE, dear! And I'm sure Bauder got a good laugh at it.

patflannery Aug. 25, 2013 @ 9:35 a.m.

Don: Swift's "big-enders vs. little-enders" was a parody on Catholic vs. Protestant. The whole thing was a magnificent spoof on the British Empire.

Some things never change.

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 3:49 p.m.

Diogenes Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:33 a.m.

A few comments are in order.

First, I must agree that Filner will not likely get a change of venue.

In a civil case, the plaintiff's choice of venue, and where the witnesses and parties are located, is given great respect by the courts in a civil case, at where two governmental agencies are not involved. The city is now out with the adoption of the settlement agreement and Filner is not a governmental agency.

I have not read Harvey Berger's papers to be filed in court because, as of Friday, they had not been filed, according to the calendar clerk in Judge Strauss' Department (as of noon).

Secondly, this blog has been joined by some who seem to believe that Don Bauder wrote Filner's PhD. dissertation and masterminded Filner's ten election campaigns to Congress.

I give Don Bauder much credit if he accomplished all of this for any politician. Obviously, he did not; it would be less annoying if bloggers did not continually and repeatedly suggest he did. That reflects on the bloggers general intelligence and integrity. We call then trolls..... They actually know better.

Lastly, I will repeat again that greedy developers and timid Democrats who fear being abandoned by the "feminists" have thrown a man out of office for their own reasons. NONE, or virtually NONE of these same people tried to oust Governor Arnold. Did Papa Doug, or the San Diego bathroom master-baiter? Hardly!!! They supported the "movie star." Gropenator they called him BEFORE the recall.

I see the silicon groupies surround Pap Doug in photos. After seeing the medical records of hundreds of cases of plaintiffs in the Dow case, this is a tragedy (in most cases) far worse than a pinched butt. I support those who actually need cosmetic surgeries, including breast augmentation. But to do this to please sick old men is NOT supporting women or women's rights in any manner whatsoever.

So wave your flags and beat your Bible, your "devil"has been banished from the Garden - you have thrown the first stone. I suspect that the devil is an inner demon... but that's another story. Go to Hooters and drink up! Your "stadium for head injury" and your convention center are on the way. Look at the boobs, drink your beer, over-build the remnants of what is left of San Diego.

I can see why Don lives in Colorado.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 12:51 p.m.

Yep, quite different from silicone! But I guess their cleavage could be called Silicone Valley?

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:34 p.m.

Trying to praise your article above as a good analysis, but my comments keep being deleted, Diogenes.

KLoEditor Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:03 p.m.

Diogenes, I'm curious what you think about the city attorney eagerly welcoming Allred into all the discussions about the mayor. Especially now that the city has agreed to defend the mayor in the lawsuit, it doesn't seem to me that he was acting in the city's best interests, I mean, I get that he must have enjoyed having another committed enemy at the table, but he really didn't need her there.

Diogenes Aug. 25, 2013 @ 8:57 a.m.

I wondered about that too.

Goldsmith worked against the mayor who is one of his clients if you subscribe to the idea that he represents the City Council and the mayor. I thought that Goldsmith had stated that he represented the last mayor Sanders but then changed that opinion when it came to Filner. This issue of who Goldsmith believed he represents under municipal law is a debate that goes back to when Michael Aguirre was in office as City Attorney. He clamed that he represented the people.

Goldsmith has been inconsistent is his public statements about this issue.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 25, 2013 @ 10:19 a.m.

It certainly seems as though Goldsmith acted as an appointed City Attorney during one administration, and as an elected City Attorney (and more) in the next.

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:38 p.m.

Goldsmith also criminally prosecuted a man for chalk drawings on a public sidewalk, which is a clear violation of his First Amendment Rights. Watch out, as I say, that your kids are not arrested for Felony Hopscotch!

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:20 p.m.

Diogenes: Good essay, but I am not sure the people refer to know better. Best, Don Bauder

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:29 p.m.

Well said, Diogenes, and you get an "A". Prof. John Kitchin

monaghan Aug. 24, 2013 @ 12:17 p.m.

Let's look on the civil bright side of things.

It's good that Don Bauder lives out-of-town. It's clear that crazies and haters have been alerted to bombard his blog with unprecedentedly vicious (and vacuous) comments that are as often personal in nature as they are related to the column's topic. They should chill, but probably won't. Better to be farther away.

It's good that Bauder is unfazed by the limitations of these people who take full advantage of their First Amendment rights. (What a great country we live in!) Bauder carries on despite the rain of trolls, unmasking financial agendas of the bipartisan special interests who run this town. Thank you,Don!

As a fortunate Coloradan, Bauder need not choose between likely candidates Carl DeMaio and Nathan Fletcher in the coming mayoral runoff -- two men who, I must admit, are truly qualified to serve America's Finest Plantation.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 12:55 p.m.

No troll here: I'm a longtime professional journalist. And I use my real name here, Frances. Why don't you? I know you used to be on the schoolboard, and are not shy.

Psycholizard Aug. 24, 2013 @ 1:33 p.m.

You are an amateur on this blog like the rest of us. When you persistently attack the blogger you are a troll. That's what troll means. When you discuss facts you are an amateur journalist.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 1:46 p.m.

I get paid for my neighborhood news pieces, so I'm hardly an amateur. I've been writing professionally for many years. Here on the blog, I comment for free. But you know my real name, while many hide behind a pseudonym here. I did see this in your profile: "Psycholizard is the band name of Stephen Merrill, who lives in Pacific Beach." Can I call you Stephen now? Makes sense to me. Why the secrecy?

Psycholizard Aug. 24, 2013 @ 7:07 p.m.

Yes you can, but it's not a secret AKA, people call me Psycho or Lizard. It helps on the internet to have a distinctive handle. If someone doesn't want to be known by their real name that's OK too. Whether amateur or professional, whatever the background, idea should be met with idea, not with personal attack. I would cease telling the world the identities of our bloggers, especially the ladies. I don't fault anyone for being cautious.

Yankeedoodle Aug. 24, 2013 @ 4:08 p.m.

Psycholizard: I wonder if the troll immigration is related to the sudden absence of opportunity to vent in other media. There certainly has been, in the past few days, both an increase in troll population and an increase in venom of the resident trolls. If so ungracious when they win, what would they be like had they lost?

Yankeedoodle Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:58 p.m.

monaghan:

Thank you for your comment, which I enjoyed reading. In your third sentence, I presume that you mean "unrelated" rather than "related."

The only benefits to Don returning to San Diego, for us, would be that we could fete him and run him for mayor!

I am impressed by his clear thinking, tolerance, and good manners.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 4:44 p.m.

It's probably not a good idea to have a reporter run for mayor. Not just Bombastic Bauder, but any journalist.

monaghan Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:54 p.m.

Yankee, you are quite right. That's what happens when you get all tangled up in convoluted syntax! My bad.

Bauder, wise man that he is, refuses to run or serve. But I heartily agree that he thinks clearly, writes concisely, is tolerant of fools, has beautiful manners and is often funny too. Great qualities.

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:48 a.m.

Funny? Well, sometimes people laugh AT others' antics, not with them. Some may laugh at Limbaugh, for instance. I don't think Bauder will be competing with comedians on "America's Got Talent" for that big one-million clams. If he did, the judges would give him four loud Xs (which means "get off the stage").

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:50 p.m.

monaghan: I am sure you have seen the latest piece on DeMaio' men's room antics. It's on this blog. I picked it up from Rex Dalton's great reporting. Best, Don Bauder

monaghan Aug. 24, 2013 @ 10:56 p.m.

I have seen the story and, like the U-T, I refuse to deal with it.

John Kitchin Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:39 p.m.

Psycholizard Aug. 24, 2013 @ 12:33 p.m.

Filner trusted the wrong people. That's worse than a crime, it's a mistake. He put his arms around people he imagined were friendly to him. He hired people he thought would help him. He promoted people who rode the gravy train with him, he made them influential, he put them in charge of the City. I don't know why those people decided from their appointed positions to destroy the Mayor, I suspect each had their personal reasons, but it's easy to understand why the Mayor couldn't get up off the mat and defend himself. He wasn't paranoid, those he thought his friends had turned on him. When he turned to others for help, and followed their advice, that advice only made matters worse.

I don't know who was at fault at first in this family dispute, but we know who burned down the house.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 1:52 p.m.

Nope, he didn't look at that person in the mirror who caused his downfall. The good advice he got weeks ago was "resign." He didn't follow that wise advice. Filner did mention "hubris" in his speech. That was a tiny moment of clarity in his otherwise chaotic address to the Council that left some observers shocked.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:52 p.m.

Psycholizard: The people who burned down the house are now the ones constructing their McMansion. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Aug. 24, 2013 @ 2:02 p.m.

Sometimes it takes many years for the Truth to come out. Why destroy a guys entire career, just set him on fire.

ImJustABill Aug. 24, 2013 @ 7:25 p.m.

Yes, Filner had been harassing women for many years. In Washington, DC apparently this was accepted and/or he had enough power/connections to squash any problems resulting from his harassment of women.

I know that's not what you wanted hear about truth coming out but that IS the truth that's coming out after many years.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:53 p.m.

shirleyberan: That has already been done. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:38 p.m.

Filner was proud, yes, but who appointed those bureaucrats judge and jury? Filner's downfall was caused by back stabs. He's accused of getting too close to people who weren't friendly. Obviously that's true, but not a crime in itself. They must be clearly unfriendly to make it unlawful. I believe Filner when he says he didn't know he offended. His mistake is not knowing who his enemies are.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:54 p.m.

Psycholizard: Somebody in politics should know not to trust anybody. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:58 p.m.

RE: "...he says he didn't know he offended." Oh, puh-leaze!! When he went off in a rage on Todd Gloria, Jan Goldsmith, Lorie Zapf and others in City Hall, he knew what he was doing: being an offensive, obnoxious horse's-patoot bully. That was unacceptable behavior, even if you are a Progressive Democrat. His enemy was himself.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:55 p.m.

David Batterson: That's true of some others, too. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya Aug. 25, 2013 @ 4:31 a.m.

Right over his head. Don. Good one!

KLoEditor Aug. 25, 2013 @ 8:10 p.m.

You're so keen on defending and supporting Todd Gloria, Bat. Is that what this is about?

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:57 p.m.

shirleyberan: Sorry -- too old to read that one. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Aug. 25, 2013 @ 2:52 a.m.

No, not too old. You just need a pair of 3D glasses.

Psycholizard Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:08 p.m.

Todd Gloria, Jan Goldsmith and Lorie Zapf deserved more insult than he ever gave them, and if being a bully was reason to remove, those three would be gone. Thanks DWB for confessing what you previously denied, that this had nothing to do with sex, and everything to do do with the spite of the proud and angry.

dwbat Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:41 p.m.

NO confession at all. It was a COMBINATION of bad behavior toward women AND against male employees/colleagues as well. And misuse of City funds, and you know all the rest. You have never heard Todd scream at anyone at a City Council meeting, like Filner did. It was reprehensible conduct on his part. And he also ordered a Deputy City Attorney escorted out of a meeting by police. Goldsmith should have sued Filner over that. I guess you and the other apologists still think that was OK. Very strange.

Don Bauder Aug. 24, 2013 @ 9:58 p.m.

Psycholizard: Yes, the council and Goldsmith deserved more rough treatment -- not less. Best, Don Bauder

monaghan Aug. 24, 2013 @ 11:16 p.m.

I don't know, Don, "rough treatment" sounds like something some members of Council might actually enjoy....