Various Authors 4:58 p.m., May 28
Allred wants council to nix deal with Filner
Plans to push ahead with Irene McCormack Jackson suit
Gloria Allred, Los Angeles-based sexual harassment lawyer, today (Aug. 22) held a press conference in her Los Angeles office to urge the city council not to make a deal with embattled Mayor Bob Filner.
Virtually everybody following the case assumes that tomorrow afternoon, the city council will be asked to vote on some package that indemnifies Filner to some extent, or possibly completely, from financial obligations related to the case -- his legal fees, payment to Irene McCormack Jackson, or some combination.
The deal was hammered out in mediation meetings this week among Filner's attorneys and various city officials. Allred attended one day and then did not return, and did not sign off on the deal. It is possible that mediators did not think she had a strong case with McCormack Jackson, so there was a low or even no contingency for her getting the kind of money she and her client believe they deserve.
If she goes ahead with her suit, several things could happen. Possibly Filner would reject the deal that is being offered to the council. If the council sides with Allred and offers no indemnification, the drama could go forward to a recall, or drag on beyond that.
More like this:
- Filner accuser McCormack Jackson to get $250K — Feb. 10, 2014
- City Attorney's Office responds to sexual harassment lawsuit on Filner's behalf — Sept. 11, 2013
- Filner, Goldsmith slated to meet tomorrow — Aug. 18, 2013
- Who's investigating Filner? It's who's NOT investigating him — Aug. 6, 2013
- Something fishy about Filner's accuser: where there is smoke there are mirrors — July 22, 2013