Matthew Lickona 11:49 p.m., Dec. 10
Mayor Bob Filner returns $21,676 in contributions from special political fund
The refunds were issued to unions, corporations, and big developers.
The hits keep coming for Mayor Bob Filner. As the Mayor ponders resignation in a legal mediation with the City and former Communications Director Irene McCormack-Jackson, a treasurer for his special political fund is zeroing out one of Filner's political funds.
Since July 1, Filner's committee, Mayor Bob Filner for San Diego, formed back in February during the fight over Tourism Marketing dollars, has refunded $21,676 in contributions made by private developers, unions, and corporations, according to an August 20 disclosure filed with the City Clerk's Office.
Among those entities include Duty Free Americas, owner of duty-free stores along the border, ($5,500); the United Food and Commercial Workers Union ($5,494); Costa Verde Developers ($1,665); Chelsea Investment Corporation of Carlsbad ($2,775), and Pardee Homes ($1,387), among a few others.
All refunds were issued on August 19.
But that's not all. There's been some expenditures as well, $17,553 to be exact -- $10,664 of which since July 1).
The bulk of that money, more than $9,400, went to San Francisco attorney Jim Sutton, who specializes in campaign law. Former Filner consultant Tom Shepard received $$4,740, and the rest went to accounting firm Scott and Cronin.
The zeroing out of Filner's special political fund spells even more trouble for a man in a legal battle with celebrity lawyer Gloria Allred, and that's of course without the City's backing.
Treasurer Nancy Haley did not respond in time for publication.
For more on the political fund, see Matt Potters February 28 and July 30 stories:
More like this:
- Emails show top DeMaio operative key to Filner recall — Aug. 26, 2013
- More special interest cash rolls into Filner's political fund — July 30, 2013
- Big three hotel moguls girding for Filner war? — July 23, 2013
- Mayor Filner proposes cutting City Attorney budget. City Attorney responds with $2,500 gift to Republican Party — April 15, 2013
- Federal Election Commission Cites "Problems" with Filner 2012 Campaign Committee Disclosures — May 22, 2012