Matt Potter 10:28 p.m., March 6
Border Patrol rescues three lost immigrants in Imperial County
Men rescued west of Calexico after placing call for help
A United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) air unit worked with El Centro Border Patrol agents on the ground to rescue three lost immigrants on Sunday, April 21st. According to CBP authorities, a distress telephone call was made from a group of men who were lost in southern Imperial County. A CBP helicopter helped located the men for ground agents to rescue around 2:35 a.m.
One of the immigrants received medical attention at the El Centro Medical Center. All three are expected to be deported.
Immigrants and smugglers have increasingly turned to illegal crossing points into Imperial County in recent years, as security near San Diego has increased.
More like this:
- Border Patrol agents to remain on duty despite government shutdown — Oct. 2, 2013
- Illegal border crosser rescued after 2+ hour search — July 10, 2013
- Border Patrol reports handful of unusual apprehensions — April 3, 2013
- Migrants found in refrigerated truck traveling through Imperial Valley — March 29, 2013
- Border Angels — Dec. 7, 2006