Don Bauder 4:30 p.m., Feb. 11
Explosive discovered on beach in Cardiff
Encinitas Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to Cardiff State Beach Sunday afternoon (April 21) and called in the Bomb Arson Unit to defuse an explosive device described only as “unidentified military ordinance.”
Shortly after 1 p.m., a resident walking along the shoreline discovered the device, picked it up, and carried it over to a lifeguard station. Lifeguards in turn called out law enforcement, who evacuated the area until the device was rendered safe by members of the bomb squad.
The area around Lifeguard Tower 15 was closed for approximately two hours as authorities responded to situation.
More like this:
- Blind man led off cliff by dog — Nov. 17, 2015
- New lifeguard statue vandalized in Ocean Beach — May 31, 2013
- Bomb Scare Closes Airport Parking Lot — July 20, 2012
- Harbor Police Discovers Cache of Weapons In Point Loma Home — Nov. 16, 2011
- Wartime Flares — Oct. 16, 2003