Dorian Hargrove 11:30 p.m., March 13
High arrest numbers at Santee DUI checkpoint
Sheriff’s deputies in Santee are reporting a particularly successful DUI checkpoint operation over the weekend, having made 14 drunken driving arrests over a six-hour period from 8:00 p.m. Saturday, April 13 until 2:30 the following morning.
A total of 1,948 cars passed through the checkpoint on the 8800 block of Mission Gorge Road, with 1,575 of those stopped by authorities. Of 51 vehicles sent to a secondary inspection area, 16 drivers were given field sobriety tests, nearly all of whom were arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. Another 13 citations were issued, 11 for driving on a suspended license and two for driving without a license at all.
The numbers compare quite favorably to other recent efforts: in December, authorities reported stopping 2,781 cars but finding only two impaired drivers. And over St. Patrick’s Day weekend, as many as 7,787 drivers were stopped, with 22 arrested for DUI-related offenses.
More like this:
- Imperial Beach checkpoint leads to two drunk driving arrests — May 20, 2013
- St. Patrick's weekend DUI checkpoints net two drunk drivers — March 18, 2013
- Weekend DUI Checkpoint Nets No Arrests — March 21, 2012
- DUI Checkpoints Result in 19 Arrests, 41 Impounds — Dec. 19, 2011
- DUI Checkpoints in Pacific Beach Result in High Arrest Count — Sept. 7, 2011