Daniel Powell 2 p.m., Feb. 26
High arrest numbers at Santee DUI checkpoint
Sheriff’s deputies in Santee are reporting a particularly successful DUI checkpoint operation over the weekend, having made 14 drunken driving arrests over a six-hour period from 8:00 p.m. Saturday, April 13 until 2:30 the following morning.
A total of 1,948 cars passed through the checkpoint on the 8800 block of Mission Gorge Road, with 1,575 of those stopped by authorities. Of 51 vehicles sent to a secondary inspection area, 16 drivers were given field sobriety tests, nearly all of whom were arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. Another 13 citations were issued, 11 for driving on a suspended license and two for driving without a license at all.
The numbers compare quite favorably to other recent efforts: in December, authorities reported stopping 2,781 cars but finding only two impaired drivers. And over St. Patrick’s Day weekend, as many as 7,787 drivers were stopped, with 22 arrested for DUI-related offenses.
More like this:
- Two nights of DUI checkpoints net three drunk drivers — Aug. 19, 2013
- More weekend DUI stops in Poway, Santee — Aug. 12, 2013
- Busy weekend for DUI crackdowns — Aug. 27, 2012
- Weekend DUI Checkpoint Nets No Arrests — March 21, 2012
- DUI Checkpoints in Pacific Beach Result in High Arrest Count — Sept. 7, 2011