Kimberly Blough 6:28 p.m., March 9
Lakeside security guard shootout story a hoax
An alleged shootout involving a security guard in Lakeside on April 5 turns out to have been a hoax.
Around 4 a.m. on the 5th, 22 year-old Lance Wright of Bravo 3 Security called Sheriff’s deputies and told them he was traveling on Woodside Avenue near the end of the freeway section of Highway 67 when he spotted flashing red lights in his mirror. Wright claimed as he pulled over, a suspect driving a red Suburban SUV fired shots at his vehicle and he returned fire.
Yesterday morning, however, Wright was summoned to the Santee Sheriff’s Station by deputies and, upon questioning, admitted his story was made up, aside from the part about using his weapon. His gun was seized as evidence, and he now faces charges of filing a false police report, negligent discharge of a firearm, felony vandalism, and planting evidence.
More like this:
- Amber alert issued for Boulevard man suspected of murder, arson, kidnapping — Aug. 5, 2013
- Lakeside man rescued from attic in house fire — July 19, 2013
- Sheriff's Department busts two rural marijuana grows — Feb. 25, 2013
- Two Vista vandals cause $275K in damages — Nov. 9, 2012
- Vista Man Shows Off Improvised Arsenal to Deputies — July 23, 2012