Syltoya Sterling 5:30 p.m., Sept. 3
Strange South Bay Bedfellows
Supervisor Greg Cox endorses Lorena Gonzalez, Secretary-Treasurer/CEO for the San Diego-Imperial County Labor Council
On April 4 San Diego County Supervisor Greg Cox endorsed Lorena Gonzalez for the 80th Assembly District Seat. The district includes Chula Vista, National City, San Ysidro, and Barrio Logan.
Cox's endorsement, found on Gonzalez's Facebook page states, "I have worked with Lorena and I know she is committed to creating jobs and protecting the middle class," Cox said. "With only two candidates in this race, I will be casting my vote for Lorena and encourage other South Bay voters to do the same."
In 2010 Gonzalez was a strong opponent of Chula Vista's Proposition G, which among other things, proposed to ban project labor agreements. Supervisor Cox, and his wife, Mayor Cheryl Cox, both Republicans, supported the initiative which ultimately passed.
In an April 4 interview, Gonzalez said she regretted the departure of Gaylord Entertainment Inc (the company which proposed to develop a portion of the Chula Vista bayfront) and finds it unfortunate that people still mistakenly attribute Gaylord's departure to labor conflict.
When asked if bipartisan support was indicative of new voter dynamics, Gonzalez answered, "It shows the huge effect that open primaries have on elections. You have to go and talk to everyone." Gonzalez said she had solicited Cox's support.
She also said this bipartisan support demonstrates "especially in the South Bay, Republicans need to coalition build wherever we [Democrats and Republicans] can find agreement."
Former Chula Vista city council member, Steve Castaneda, is also a candidate for the 80th District in the May 21 special election.
More like this:
- Enough nepotism and cronyism — Oct. 21, 2014
- Landslide of mailers in Chula Vista for one 80th district assembly candidate — May 20, 2013
- With Democrats backing Gonzalez, Castaneda turns to unrepresented Republicans in 80th Assembly race — April 16, 2013
- Democrats Castaneda, Gonzalez certified as ballot candidates for 80th district state assembly special election — April 3, 2013
- Chula Vista chamber of commerce PAC gets money from supervisor Cox — Oct. 31, 2012