• News Ticker alerts

Coleman University will close its San Marcos campus at 1284 San Marcos Boulevard. There has been no news release announcing the closing, but people on the inside said that the word was passed today (Sept. 12). I could not reach anybody in authority, so I can't say how many jobs will be lost or how many students are affected, or the date of the closing. The San Marcos campus has been open 30 years. The courses are largely computer and business-related.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Visduh Sept. 12, 2012 @ 4:15 p.m.

Hmm. Not that I was ever in the market for such courses, but I had no idea it was there. Might lack of visibility been its undoing?

Don Bauder Sept. 13, 2012 @ 5:24 p.m.

Coleman issued a news release today (Sept. 13). It stated that the branch will be closed by December 2013. Coleman cited "steadily declining enrollments." Coleman is considering potential branch options such as Vista/Oceanside and South Bay/Chula Vista. The release did not say how many students are at the San Marcos branch now and how many people will be out of jobs. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell Sept. 12, 2012 @ 11:50 p.m.

Coleman is a nonprofit institution. I looked at the data at the Foundation Finder website. Coleman appears to be in good financial shape, at least as of 2011. The head guy is paid only $120,000 a year. I understand that Coleman has a good reputation and provides an excellent technical education.

Don Bauder Sept. 13, 2012 @ 5:27 p.m.

I used to interview a Coleman economist who was at the Orange County headquarters. He was good. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 13, 2012 @ 8:19 p.m.

Don't let non-profit label fool you, always look at the numbers......I know nothing about Coleman but every law school in America, except one or two, are so called nonprofits...Heck the NFL is a non profit.

Don Bauder Sept. 14, 2012 @ 1:54 p.m.

Look at all the corporations that claim to be, and aspire to be, profit-making concerns, but actually are nonprofit. Best, Don Bauder