2 p.m., Dec. 10
Group of sicarios nabbed in Mexicali Valley
A group of eight alleged sicarios (hitmen) were arrested in the Mexicali Valley by the Baja California state police on Saturday, September 8th. The men allegedly belong to a criminal gang known as “Los Garibay”. Five guns were also seized, three of those being “cuerno de chivos” (AK-47’s).
According to La Secretaría de Seguridad Pública Estatal (The State Secretariat of Public Security), who gives information regarding state police operations, the arrests were due to a lengthy investigation. Those arrested included 28 year old Miguel Angel Cruz Hernandez, 20 year old Joshua Torres, 23 year old Jose Contreras Roberto Lopez, 31 year old Edgar Noel Lopez Rodriguez, 28 year old Abraham Rodriguez, 25 year old Francisco "El Cachetes " Gabriel Barraza, 27 year old Jose Curiel Adam Lopez, and 18 year old Jose Roman Lopez Trejo.
The gang is allegedly run by Manuel "The Manelao" Garibay Felix, despite his incarceration in the maximum security prison in Puente Grande, Jalisco. The group has allegedly executed numerous farm and ranch owners in the Valle de Mexicali (Mexicali Valley).
The alleged hitmen were put on display for local media along with their weapons as state authorities cited prepared statements.
More like this:
- Alleged sicarios apprehended in Tijuana police murder — May 20, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: Toddler Killed Under Tractor; Internet Café and a Gas Station Robbed — Oct. 20, 2012
- Brawl at School Carnival Turned Into Stabbing — June 19, 2012
- San Jose Murderer Nabbed in Mexicali — May 24, 2012
- Border News Translations: Grass; Ballroom Workers; Military Seizures — May 10, 2011