Delinda Lombardo 2:30 p.m., April 30
Deputy District Attorneys walking: campaign cash for death penalty, GOP's Danon, and Amador
The San Diego county Deputy District Attorney's Association has been piling up some major cash for its push against Proposition 34, the anti-death penalty measure on November's ballot, as well as in favor of Republican Steve Danon, the Brian Bilbray congressional aide seeking a seat on the county board of supervisors, which oversees the budget of the district attorney's office.
As of October 20, the group's political committee, San Diegans Against Crime, still had $190,383 of cash in the bank. $10,055 had been spent on behalf of fellow deputy district attorney Robert Amador's bid for Superior Court and $11,534 for Republican Steve Danon's run for county supervisor.
In filings since then, the deputies have disclosed putting up $2,200 to defeat Proposition 34.
With a week to go until election day, observers expect more spending, but the county-paid lawyers will have a hard time catching up to the cash expended by wealthy San Diego pro-34 forces, led by once-imprisoned La Jolla super lawyer Bill Lerach and his fellow capital punishment opponent, Democratic billionaire Irwin Jacobs.
Lerach and his wife, lawyer and downtown La Jolla cupcake bistro proprietor Michelle Ciccarelli, along with their legal friends and La Jolla neighbors, staged a lavish, celebrity laden summer fundraising blow-out on their sprawling La Jolla Farms estate for the initiative in July.
In addition to the La Jollans, the local chapter of the ACLU has kicked in $100,000.
More like this:
- Last word — Nov. 16, 2012
- Donors walking: Democratic billionaire Irwin Jacobs and wife Joan kick in $80,000 to defeat death penalty — Oct. 3, 2012
- Four San Diego lawyers give $40,000 to anti-death penalty measure — Aug. 27, 2012
- Prop 34, Anti-Death Penalty Measure, Continues to Pick Up Big La Jolla and L.A. Crime TV Money — Aug. 8, 2012
- On Eve of Lerach Bash, Ex-Wife and Friends Give Big to Anti-Death Penalty Drive — July 24, 2012