Dave Rice 1 p.m., June 30
Casino-owning tribe and builders give big to fund backing La Jolla GOP city council hopeful
The Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation has given $17,000 to a group backing Ray Ellis, the La Jolla Republican city council candidate who is hoping to unseat first district Democratic incumbent Sherri Lightner.
According to an October 25 disclosure filing posted online by the San Diego city clerk's office, the committee, calling itself "San Diego County Voters for Progress and Reform,” raised a total of $76,500 since September 9. It spent $119,587, and had unpaid debts of $46,500.
In addition to Sycuan, which made its contribution on October 4, donors included San Diego's GOP Lincoln Club, which gave $11,000; the Building Industry Association of San Diego PAC ($10,000); Build SD PAC ($25,000); and San Diego Apartment Association PAC ($10,000).
As reported earlier, the committee also has picked up $25,000 from a Los Angeles-based real estate PAC.
The fund has spent $47,000 to produce and air pro-Ellis TV spots, according to its filing.
Besides its east county casino, the Sycuan tribe, which has been a frequent contributor to San Diego city campaigns, also owns the U.S. Grant and Hotel Solamar downtown.
More like this:
- Wife of port scandal figure gives big to Bruce Williams cause — March 18, 2013
- Pub owners' PAC backing pro-DeMaio Lincoln Club gets $10,000 from Sempra Energy — Oct. 25, 2012
- Record $234,595 spent on broadcast ads in just one day in city races — Oct. 24, 2012
- Union-Tribune Owner Gives $5,000 to Local GOP Before DeMaio Endorsement — March 22, 2012
- Embattled Sycuan Band Gives Big to Local GOP — Oct. 31, 2011