• News Ticker alerts

Pictured: Linda Wagner speaking to the media about EyeCandy

Residents have been in an uproar since the nude dancing club, EyeCandy, took up residence on Chula Vista's Bayfront Boulevard. On October 15, a council candidate, Linda Wagner, marched on city hall looking for answers to the myriad of questions raised by the licensing of this establishment.

Before departing on the one-mile walk from EyeCandy to city hall, Wagner said, "I go door to door every day as part of my campaign. Many residents are outraged and I am bringing their questions forward."

According to Wagner, residents want to know: Why, for over a week, has the city said nothing more than "pending an investigation?" What can the city do to get the business moved? Will the issue come before the city council?

When asked if the march to city hall could be perceived as a political strategy, Wagner replied, "If this were part of my campaign, I would have campaign signs here. If people want to construe bringing attention to the legitimate concerns of residents as a campaign ploy, well then I guess they will."

John Knox, who teaches at the Living Coast Discovery Center, (formerly the Chula Vista Nature Center), located across the street from EyeCandy, approached the small gathering of people to express his disappointment: "Children of all ages stand at this shuttle stop every day. They are coming here for classes about nature. They see the EyeCandy Showgirl signs across the street and they can't help but ask questions. Parents will be asking questions soon too."

JoAnne Ward joined the group as well. Ward has worked as a docent for 8 years at Living Coast. She said, "Why can't the city have them move to some other dinky street? I have nothing against this place, just the location. This is the first exit off the freeway to Chula Vista. It's our bayfront."

Meanwhile, across the street at EyeCandy, a business representative who declined to give his name said the enterprise was experiencing a slow afternoon. When asked about the protest, he said "You call that a protest?" However, he affirmed he was all for "freedom."

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

nostalgic Oct. 16, 2012 @ 7:43 p.m.

Is this the old Anthony's Seafood Restaurant? Nice place, and great food. Got tired of waiting for the rest of the development, I suppose.

Susan Luzzaro Oct. 16, 2012 @ 7:54 p.m.

nostalgic, We all are nostalgic for those better days. Anthony's was a good place to eat and you used to be able to buy fresh fish there.

As for the bayfront, the port and the city of Chula Vista went to China looking for bayfront investors...what a long and winding road the bayfront development has taken.

robclements Oct. 16, 2012 @ 11:44 p.m.

i am pretty sure i know exactly where this is at....

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 17, 2012 @ 12:01 a.m.

The fact is the large industrial park/s on Bay Bl have sat 95% empty for over 25 years now......they need to get rid of the "Eye Candy" sleeze joint. Those places bring in (as a general rule) the low lifes, the dirtbags. I know, I have been in a few, and not just in San Diego, but in MI too, they are all the same, you go in and you need to wash your hands and clothes the second you leave

VigilantinCV Oct. 17, 2012 @ 10:35 a.m.

Hey! National City has their "Mile of Cars." The first projects approved for Chula Vista's "World Class" bayfront give us our "Quarter-mile of Adult Entertainment" (gambling, a motel, and a nudie-club). Is this the legacy for the Mayor?

y Oct. 19, 2012 @ 10:17 a.m.

StrongI'm sorry but what is the big deal? If you ask me i wish they would of made a topless club so that you can drink I'm pretty stocked that there is on so close to home now i don't have to drive so far. And they say they don't want it because the kids will see it then why not get ried of all the homeless near there if you ask me that is more of an eye sore then anything.

Cornbread Oct. 20, 2012 @ 7:31 a.m.

look at these two old hippies in the story. Haha. alot of good points, too many bums, too many buildings unoccupied. So what you have to answer to your kids about what goes on in there, it's called communication. I was just in there last night. It's a nice place, they aren't done building the inside yet, but the girls are nice. I got two favorites right now, Veronica and Peaches.

cvres Oct. 20, 2012 @ 6:05 p.m.

Well I can't speak for Veronica and Peaches, but I wonder how much they are paid. I can't help but wonder if there were an abundance of well paying jobs with health benefits available, which job they would choose.