Ian Anderson 2 p.m., March 9
Firefighters demonstrate a rescue
A team of rescuers swarmed a crushed car during a demonstration at the Carlsbad safety center yesterday.
Three different power tools were used on a sample traffic-collision-casualty, and the car was taken apart in surprisingly few minutes. The child-mannequin inside was rescued to appreciative applause from the crowd watching from behind yellow caution tape.
One firefighter who described himself as a “fire engineer apparatus operator” said “we can get them out sometimes in fifteen minutes.”
Danny Glessner, who works for the Carlsbad Fire Department, said two useful tools are hydraulic spreaders and hydraulic cutters. And he was especially pleased with a third tool, an electric reciprocating saw. He said this is “a cost effective tool” that “you can buy at Home Depot.”
Fire engineer apparatus operator Glessner said “we go through quite a few blades.” He estimated they wear out a hundred blades a year on one reciprocating saw.
The City of Carlsbad and its fire and police departments joined to host an open house at their new Safety Training Center, located at 5750 Orion Way, on Saturday October 13, 2012.
More like this:
- California man accused of cooking wife is due in court Tuesday — Aug. 16, 2013
- Carlsbad safety center open house yesterday — Oct. 14, 2012
- Police canine demonstration in Carlsbad — Oct. 14, 2012
- I Collect My Paycheck With Pride — Oct. 5, 2012
- Frequent-flyer-felon Abdullah Alekabi back in court — Oct. 4, 2012