Delinda Lombardo 2:30 p.m., April 30
Friendship Park open again at border fence
The historic Friendship Park has reopened after a three year hiatus, although in a limited program enforced by the United States Border Patrol. The park, which is in the furthest southwest point of the U.S. at Border Field State Park, allows for families split by the border to meet and talk.
The Border Angels Coalition helped push to get the park reopened, which conducted its first day on Saturday, October 6th. The park had been closed since 2009 to start construction on a much higher grade of fence.
It costs $5 per vehicle to enter the park when roads are open due to fair weather. A limit of 10 people will be allowed at a time near the U.S. side, to allow complete supervision by U.S. agents. The park will only be open from 10am to 2pm on Saturday and Sunday when weather permits. No physical interaction is allowed by the fortified fence.
More like this:
- Mother's Day, unmeshed — May 11, 2015
- The friend at the gate is gone — Nov. 4, 2014
- Border Field State Park gate swings open on regular basis — June 10, 2013
- U.S.-Mexico border gate swings open at Friendship Park — April 29, 2013
- Friendship Park to remain open at the Border — April 5, 2013