Marty Graham 5:30 p.m., Aug. 26
Gross vehicular manslaughter
Patrick Lewis Barnett, 25, admitted he killed the passenger in his car when he was driving under the influence and crashed, last March.
Barnett admitted he was driving too fast for conditions, “with gross negligence,” just after midnight on March 17, 2012.
Oceanside Police issued a statement that “Barnett drove in a reckless manner by intentionally spinning his vehicle on the wet roadway.” Authorities stated he was driving on Coast Highway at Michigan Street when “he lost control of the Mustang which hit a palm tree” and “snapped the uppermost 12 feet of the tree, causing it to fall to the ground.”
Twenty-five-year-old Thoai Dihh, a passenger in the car, was killed on the spot. Barnett was transported to Scripps La Jolla hospital with “non-life-threatening injuries,” according to police.
Barnett was sentenced last week to 6 years State prison and ordered to pay $2,251 to the City of Oceanside. Restitution to the Dihh family is “reserved” and not specified in court documents.
More like this:
- Man admits fatal crash in Pala one year ago — April 20, 2013
- Repeat felon admits killing transgender prostitute — March 20, 2013
- Oceanside gangster admits meth sales — Feb. 9, 2013
- Career criminal back to prison — Dec. 15, 2012
- Man Admits Manslaughter in Oceanside Car Crash — Aug. 2, 2012