Matthew Lickona 7 a.m., April 24
Maienschein bows down to ferret lobby?
Assemblyman denies reports that he is cuddling up to the ferret lobby
Just weeks after the election and newly minted Assemblyman Brian Maienschein has been said to be cozying up to lobbyists, hard at work to get their pet projects through the state assembly. Well, at least, that's what Pat Wright, founder of Legalizeferrets.org claimed in a recent newsletter, as reported in the Sacramento Bee.
"There was one person elected who had some ferret knowledge," Wright wrote of Maienschein in the group's monthly newsletter.
Wright and his supporters are in the hunt for state legislators willing to pass a bill that legalizes the ownership of ferrets. State law currently prohibits the ownership of ferrets without a license. Ferret owners who ignore the law, known as "banditos," could be subject to fines, or could have their pet taken from them.
But Wright and other ferret-lovers may be getting ahead of themselves.
Maienschein's campaign manager, Lance Witmondt denied those reports. The incoming assemblyman is not at the bark and call of the ferret-lobby.
"[Maienschein] has not ever met a ferret and he will not be sponsoring legislation to legalize ferret ownership," said Witmondt.
And just yesterday Wright seems to be owning up to his mistake. On Twitter the founder of legalizeferrets.org posted the following tweet: "Newly elected Assemblyman Brain Maienschein's campaign manager Lance Witmondt already trashing our ferret legalization efforts."
More like this:
- Not a story, says Maienschein of his lobbyist dating — July 31, 2013
- San Diego city attorney dances to lobbyists' tune in banquet video — April 1, 2013
- Ferrets Eat Babies. They Shred Human Tissue. They Drink Blood. — May 9, 2012
- Strange Political Bedfellows: Brian Maienschein and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel — April 24, 2012
- Nathan Fletcher Picks Up Big Money from Big Tobacco, Says Lung Association — July 19, 2011