James Michael Dorsey 7:40 p.m., Nov. 25
Big labor and business interests to co-host Filner fundraiser
Labor boss Lorena Gonzalez and Chamber of Commerce insider Mel Katz will co-host post-campaign fundraising bash for Bob Filner
After a record-breaking political spending year, San Diego mayor-elect Bob Filner is still out looking for the big money, and as a newly sworn in incumbent, city hall observers say, he's likely to get at lot more of it.
On December 6, three days after he becomes mayor, Filner's campaign committee is throwing a two-tiered reception, co-hosted by Lorena Gonzalez, Secretary-Treasurer and CEO of the San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council, AFL-CIO, and Mel Katz, the ultimate downtown establishment player who's been chairman of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce and the San Diego Convention Center Corporation.
Katz, a one-time member of the chamber's "education roundtable," was also a key political backer of onetime city schools honcho Alan Bersin in his perpetual battles over education policy and privatization. Katz's wife Linda is also listed as a co-host.
The main Filner event, between 6 and 7:30 p.m., carries a $500 per person tab.
"For those that raise $5,000 or more," says the invite, a 5 to 6 p.m. "V.I.P. reception" awaits.
The event is to be held at the Hyatt Mission Bay.
More like this:
- Labor Council to support David Alvarez for Mayor — Sept. 13, 2013
- Lorena Gonzalez rakes in more than $160,000 in campaign contributions in five month span — April 19, 2013
- Democrats Castaneda, Gonzalez certified as ballot candidates for 80th district state assembly special election — April 3, 2013
- Filner sets up ballot battle committee — Feb. 28, 2013
- Dumanis plea for post-election campaign cash — Dec. 3, 2012