• News Ticker alerts

Sherry and Anthony Chang drove to their son’s apartment in Los Angeles for Thanksgiving 2008, but found he was not there when they arrived. They waited, and when he came home, then-27-year-old Bryan Chang told them they should not have come. His mother asked if they could stay the night at his place, but he reportedly told them it “wasn’t a good idea,” and went to his room. As the couple were driving away, Bryan Chang phoned his mother and said to her, “If I go to hell, I'll take you guys with me.” Father Anthony Chang later told a detective he could hear this statement because of the volume of Sherry's cell phone.

This account was some of the testimony of investigators who spoke today at a hearing for Bryan Chenhua Chang, now 31, who is charged with murdering his mother, Sherry Chu Chang, 60.

Sherry Chang was found face-down, with one arm and most of her brain and the back of her skull missing, in her Solana Beach home almost three years ago. Some of her body parts were found in her refrigerator, in plastic bags, when authorities were called to her home the Monday morning she did not show up for work, January 27, 2010.

The once-million-dollar home with sweeping views of the ocean and coast in Northern San Diego County sold for $875,000 last summer. The property was listed in tax records with Bryan C Chang as title holder, and the accused son reportedly benefited from its sale. It is unclear if Bryan knew at the time of his mother’s death that he was listed as owner in documents.

Son Bryan had reportedly not worked for 18 months prior to his mother’s death, and had been supported by his mother, according to a prosecutor. The mother and son disagreed about his support, and Bryan particularly wanted his mother to buy him a new car, according to deputy district attorney Rachel Solov. Bryan Chang had reported the black Lexus his mother had already purchased for him as stolen, twice because it was recovered once, according to testimony today.

The preliminary hearing for Bryan Chang, meant to determine if there is sufficient evidence to hold him on a charge of murder for financial gain, which could qualify him for the death penalty, is set to continue tomorrow morning November 14, in San Diego’s North County Superior Courthouse.

  • News Ticker alerts

Comments

Visduh Nov. 13, 2012 @ 8:21 p.m.

Ah, great. It has taken our criminal justice system almost three years to have this wacko brought up for a prelim hearing. What have the cops and DA been doing for the past three years? He should have been tried and either convicted or acquitted by now. But no, he'll be facing a judge to "to determine if there is sufficient evidence to hold him on a charge of murder for financial gain, which could qualify him for the death penalty." It has taken almost three years to reach this point? Justice delayed is justice denied.

0

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 14, 2012 @ 12:18 a.m.

It has taken our criminal justice system almost three years to have this wacko brought up for a prelim hearing. What have the cops and DA been doing for the past three years?

Come on, the cops and DA PUT TOGETHER have the brain power of one circus chimp....

0

Sign in to comment

Join our
newsletter list

Enter to win $25 at Broken Yolk Cafe

Each newsletter subscription
means another chance to win!

Close