• News Ticker alerts

Rancho Santa Fe is among the nation's 10 most expensive neighborhoods, according to MarketWatch.com. "The Ranch," as it is called, "boosts some of the highest earning families in the nation," says MarketWatch, and that makes it attractive to such people as singer Janet Jackson and actress Greena Davis. (I've never heard of either one of them, but find it interesting that MarketWatch DOESN'T mention that The Ranch was home to Duke Cunningham, C. Arnholt Smith, Jerry Dominelli, and many other San Diego rogues.) The population is only 3,117. MarketWatch notes that one home on the market for $40 million has 8 bedrooms, 9 baths, and 16,000 square feet with various ponds and waterfalls occupied by koi fish. The Ranch's median home price is $3.29 million, up 13.5% in a year, but that is dwarfed by several locations including Alpine, New Jersey, at $6.7 million, up more than 40% on the year.

• News Ticker alerts

More like this:

Comments

Visduh Nov. 6, 2012 @ 3:40 p.m.

I'm shocked that you've heard of neither Janet Jackson nor Geena (not Greena) Davis. Why, they're pop culture icons, and Janet is sister of the late "King of Pop" Michael Jackson. Where are your values man? I'll bet you even enjoy classical music!

Don Bauder Nov. 7, 2012 @ 12:32 p.m.

Visduh: I HAVE heard of Michael Jackson. I can even remember when he died. If Janet Jackson is Michael Jackson's sister, is she the one that bared her bosoms during a Super Bowl halftime show? Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Nov. 7, 2012 @ 7:35 p.m.

Unless I'm totally confused, the answer to your question is Yes.

Don Bauder Nov. 8, 2012 @ 8:09 a.m.

Visduh: I can remember the kerfuffle over the incident, and vaguely remember some connection to Michael Jackson. It's easy to look up. Who will consult the web on this critical question? Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 7, 2012 @ 6:24 p.m.

Don, I HOPE you have heard of Michael Jckson, as he was the "King of Pop"............his sister Janet is a superstar in her own right but she is a few generations removed from you so I understand you not knowing her.

Don Bauder Nov. 7, 2012 @ 7:06 p.m.

SurfPup: I said that even I can remember Michael Jackson. But his sister? Can't say I have heard of her. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya Nov. 8, 2012 @ 9:11 a.m.

I'd be just a wee bit concerned that SP says she's "a few generations removed from you". She's 46. {:>)

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 8, 2012 @ 9:49 a.m.

OK, I didn't know she was 46, I still see her in my mind as that little girl on that sitcom for many years ago!~

Don Bauder Nov. 8, 2012 @ 11:58 a.m.

SP: She is then 30 years younger than I am. So that's a bit more than one generation. But we still don't know if she was the one who bared her boobs in front of an international TV Super Bowl audience of more than 100 million people. Won't somebody look it up? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 8, 2012 @ 12:09 p.m.

OK, I looked it up. It was the Super Bowl of 2004. Yes, Janet Jackson was the one whose mammaries made international TV. Apparently, one Justin Timberlake (for you cynics out there, I have heard of him), ripped her dress, exposing her breast. The scandal became known as Nipplegate. Now, does Janet share the blame equally with Justin? Was she an ingenue who was exploited by a roue? Sorry, ladies: I have to believe it was well rehearsed, although I didn't see it. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 8, 2012 @ 5:04 p.m.

Yes, this is the same Janet Jackson who had the famous/infamous "wardrobe malfunction" during a Superbowl halftime function.

Don Bauder Nov. 8, 2012 @ 8:16 p.m.

SurfPup: I never saw the incident but I remember thinking at the time that "wardrobe malfunction" had to be an alibi dreamed up by a lawyer. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 7, 2012 @ 7:07 p.m.

Twister: Never heard of Geena. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 7, 2012 @ 7:11 p.m.

Twister: Not only have I never heard of Geena Davis. I have never heard of Beetlejuice either. Look, I don't follow popular culture. I suppose I should, but I can only do so many things in a day. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 14, 2012 @ 6:34 p.m.

Beetlejuice is one of the best shows ever.......I watch it everytime it comes on....classic.

Don Bauder Nov. 14, 2012 @ 7:09 p.m.

SurfPup: I don't watch tv sitcoms and have never heard of Beetlejuice. I do remember people talking about I Love Lucy and Jackie Gleason, but I never spent much time watching either. Lest you think I am a snob, I get a real chuckle out of professional wrestling, but after splitting my sides for ten minutes, I turn it off. Best, Don Bauder

Twister Nov. 14, 2012 @ 3:44 p.m.

Just look at her photo on the link and enjoy. Keep us up to date on Rancho Santa Fe gossip. It's just about enjoying life and the beautiful things Nature produces . . .

Don Bauder Nov. 14, 2012 @ 7:12 p.m.

Twister: Just look for key words like "Ponzi scheme" or "insider trading" and there is a good chance you will find something about Rancho Santa Fe. Best, Don Bauder