Robert Bush 1 p.m., Oct. 25
No iPhone trademark for Apple in Mexico
Apple was set to release the iPhone 5 in Mexico today, November 2nd, but a Mexican court has ruled against Apple in a trademark dispute which will not allow the company to market its popular phone under the name iPhone.
A Mexico based communications company named iFone trademarked their name in 2003. Apple attempted to trademark the name iPhone in 2009 and to stop iFone from using its own name. The dispute led to a lengthy court battle that Apple lost. iFone has now in return successfully halted the use of the name iPhone in Mexico and is asking for up to 40% of profits from previous sales.
More like this:
- Earliest adopters wait at Carlsbad’s Apple Store — Sept. 20, 2013
- Green eggs, green coal? — Dec. 30, 2012
- San Diegan Provided Insider Information, Says Department of Justice — Dec. 16, 2010
- Hello? Hello? Can You Hear Me Now? — Jan. 20, 2010
- Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree... — Oct. 7, 2009