Matt Potter 5:30 p.m., Oct. 12
Mitt Romney's pal and financial backer John Miller proceeds with overhaul of La Jolla home
Mitt Romney's favorite meatpacking mogul, John R. Miller, is proceeding with a million dollar renovation of his La Jolla estate on Dunemere Drive, just one door down from Romney's own beach house.
As we reported in August of this year, Miller moved forward with plans to remodel the home shortly after buying the house in 2008.
According to documents from the City's Development Services Department, Miller's plans include a complete overhaul of the home, while leaving the historic facade.
The latest permit, issued on August 27, allows for the "addition to the basement," as well as enclosing one terrace, and adding three more terraces to the house. Once complete, with the basement, the terraces, and the other additions, the house will measure 11,606 square feet, nearly double its original size.
The permit shows that the "valuation" of the remodel and for all necessary permits cost John and Victoria Miller $1,051,698.
Miller, who made his fortune as the CEO of the National Beef Packing Company, is a major contributor to Romney's campaign.
The ties to the Romneys don't stop there. Back in 2008 Miller invested millions of dollars in Solamere Capital, the private equity firm started by Romney's eldest son, Tagg, and Romney's chief political fund-raiser Spencer Zwick.
Miller has also given more than $120,000 to his pal's presidential campaign and affiliated committees.
More like this:
- City emails show Mitt Romney fast at work on La Jolla remodel only three days after losing the election — March 4, 2013
- Mitt Romney moves forward on massive renovation of La Jolla home — Feb. 4, 2013
- Wealthy Romney Financial Backer and La Jolla Beachfront Neighbor Breaks Ground on Huge Remodel — Aug. 10, 2012
- Mitt Romney's Son: Dad's La Jolla House Is "Pretty Small" — April 4, 2012
- Additional Details on Romney's La Jolla Mansion — March 27, 2012