Jim Markle 6:30 p.m., June 30
Top Drug Lord Allegedly Captured
One of the most wanted drug lords in the world was possibly captured last night, May 24th, in the Sinaloa mountains. Ismael “El Mayo” Zambada García, the co-leader of the Sinaloa Cartel, was rumored to have been captured in the town of Aguaje, Sinaloa.
Mexican authorities have yet to confirm the report that El Mayo has been captured. The Diario de Sinaloa website was the first to report the alleged capture. The report alleged that El Mayo was captured along with his bodyguards, and then taken to Mexico City for detainment.
Most outside of Mexico call Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán Loera the leader of the Sinaloa Cartel, however most intelligence agencies consider him a co-leader alongside El Mayo.
El Mayo currently has rewards of $5 million in the U.S. and the equivalent of $2 million from the Mexican government for information leading to his arrest.
More like this:
- DEA official claims Arellano Félix Organization dead, despite current activity in Tijuana — May 29, 2013
- DEA releases poster of most wanted drug traffickers in San Diego-Tijuana area — May 4, 2013
- Teenager Freed From Sinaloa Cartel Kidnapping Ring — June 8, 2012
- Nephews of Cartel Leader Under Federal Investigation — May 1, 2012
- Mexican Drug Cartels: You Want Silver or Lead? — Sept. 22, 2010