Matt Potter 6 a.m., Aug. 27
Coronado Beach Ranked Nation's Finest
The beach at Coronado has been tapped as the nation’s finest, according to a new survey out today from “Dr. Beach,” or Stephen Leatherman, a coastal science professor at Miami’s Florida International University. His list of the top 10 beaches in the country is traditionally released just before Memorial Day weekend, the kickoff of the summer beach-going season.
Coronado’s shores were ranked number 2 last year, behind Siesta Beach in Sarasota, Florida. Like previous winners in the survey’s 22 year history, Siesta has been retired “to allow others to be in the limelight,” according to Leatherman.
50 different criteria are used in judging beach quality, including look and feel of the sand, water quality, adequacy of public facilities, and presence of oil and tar balls, the last of which continues to plague Southeastern states two years after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
Coronado was the only California beach on this year’s top 10 list, which also included Kahanamoku Beach in Honolulu, Hawaii, at number 2, and Main Beach in East Hampton, New York, ranking third.
More like this:
- Coronado falls off "best beaches" list — May 29, 2013
- Peters declares self-sequester, vows to donate portion of pay to senior center — May 8, 2013
- San Diego ranks #2: the beautiful people — Nov. 28, 2012
- San Diego Tops Nation in DUIs — Dec. 23, 2011
- Coronado: Where the Living Is Easy — Sept. 5, 2011